Hazel Hedging

Got something to say off topic? Want to say hello? This is the place!

Hazel Hedging

Postby dinosaw » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:14 pm

Not just good for nuts, I had a cack handed attempt at producing a section of stock proof hedge out of a couple of trees three years ago, despite not making a brilliant job it has come out alright, shows you how fast the stuff grows..
Attachments
Hazelhedge before.jpg
Hazelhedge before.jpg (312.31 KiB) Viewed 340 times
Hazelhedge after.jpg
Hazelhedge after.jpg (275.37 KiB) Viewed 340 times
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Re: Hazel Hedging

Postby Hen-Gen » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:58 pm

A fair bit of pleaching. Also a vanishing country art so thumbs up for the conservation value.
Hen-Gen
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Postby Margaid » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:03 pm

It's amazing how thick a stem you can cut almost all the way through and then within a few months there will be new shoots all the way along it. We had miles of hedge cut and laid and they produced fantastic new growth. Well done for having a go yourself Dinosaw!
Margaid

Postby Icemaiden » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:09 am

A good try Dinosaw. I've done a bit of hedgelaying over the years under instruction; next time you have a go, take out most of the weight of the tree that you're laying, & all of the branches that go in the wrong direction (i.e. forwards and backwards instead of sideways in line with your hedge). Then cut about 6" to a foot above ground through the trunk. That way the base of the hedge will be more solid, closer to the ground.

As Margaid says, it's amazing how far you can cut through the trunk; if you don't cut far enough, it'll break.
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
Icemaiden

Postby dinosaw » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:54 am

Thanks for the tip Icemaiden, realised I should have taken more off by the time I had finished, made it harder to go lower as they branches sat against each other. Have to say I couldn't fancy laying miles of it, but it's good that there are folk still out there who are making a living out of it.

A job I'm not planning to tackle is lopping the trees at the top of our plot which are now nearly touching the overhead cables. Had started to cut the inner canopy with my pole pruning chainsaw late yesterday and found it had hidden just how far they are overhanging on the other side, must be within a couple of feet of the cables now. Need to ring the power company on Monday and hopefully get somebody out to look at them.
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Postby Margaid » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:44 pm

Round here they're very good at keeping an eye on trees and hedges. I can't remember whether they want 3 or 5 metres clearance to the cables. They came and lopped a Leylandii that was in the corner of my garden which the chap who had been cutting the hedges thought was next door's. I'm quite happy, I don't want power cuts!
Margaid

Postby bigyetiman » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:45 pm

Very good go at hedge laying, our local Wildlife Trust runs regular hedge laying courses it's a wonderful art.Thanks for your tips icemaiden, thats what I like about these forums, so many people have such a depth of knowledge to pass on
bigyetiman

Postby Minorcafan » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:15 pm

You've done a good job!

Up here, if trees are growing too close to electricity lines, the electric company will chop them down! We have collected a load of firewood that way, "tidying up" for the workmen to save them a trip :-)
Minorcafan

Postby NicolsT » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:47 pm

It's interesting that although the electric companies will cut back trees, BT won't. They say it is up to you and if your tree damages the line, you have to pay for it. Fair enough I suppose, but not when it's my 90 year old neighbour! She had my husband perched on the top of his land rover, trying to tip prune her trees..luckily another neighbour took pity on him before he damaged himself (not much good with tools, my old man!).
NicolsT
Forum Contributor / Grower

Postby Icemaiden » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:18 pm

Interesting to hear how much clearance some electricity companies like between trees & power lines. Down here in Kent they don't bother any more until half of the village has been in darkness for a few days.

The previous owner of our house planted Leylandii under the power lines. When we first moved here in 2001, the power company would cut the trees every other winter. Now they let them grow a metre or more above the lines- no way we can get them cut ourselves.

The only way to get the electricity company to send their contractors round is to ask them to move the power lines off of our land if they won't cut the trees. That usually does the trick...
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
Icemaiden

Next

Return to General Chatter / Other things