Glaslyn Ospreys

Got something to say off topic? Want to say hello? This is the place!

Re: Glaslyn Ospreys

Postby Margaid » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:58 pm

The youngest, smallest Dyfi chick Eitha has been fishing successfully! Everyone was concerned she wasn't getting enough food as a small chick but she's obviously inherited her dad's successful fishing genes!
Margaid
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Postby bigyetiman » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:04 pm

Maya has now left Rutland Water, and female 30 has now reached France
bigyetiman

Postby Margaid » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:29 pm

Yes, 245 miles in a day!
All the Dyfi chicks appear to have migrated, as has Glesni their mum. Only Monty is left apparently determined to build his "man shed" on top of the camera pole.
Margaid

Postby bigyetiman » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:04 am

30 has now reached Spain on 30th August she spent the night south of Madrid by the river Guadarrama, by the time the next lot of data comes in she should be going across the Atlas Mountains, she is averaging 241 miles a day. 33 has now left Rutland.
Lots of Ospreys were seen on the Essex coast yesterday, one even graced Rainham Marshes for a while, looks like they have by passed the air space over our garden yet again, I was earnestly scanning the skies, but only Buzzards moving south and Yellow Wagtails. One day I will find an Osprey investigating our lake
bigyetiman

Postby Margaid » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:13 pm

30 is already in North Africa - at 11 am today (Saturday) she was just south of Marrakesh. On 31st she flew 400 miles on one day!
Margaid

Postby Marigold » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:51 am

Really interesting page of records from Glaslyn site, giving dates of arrivals, egg laying, ringing and departures, up to 2016.
http://www.glaslynwildlife.co.uk/glasly ... key-dates/
Marigold

Postby bigyetiman » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:16 am

Osprey at Rainham Marshes on the Thames yesterday and today still, sitting on a lump of driftwood on the foreshore.
We also picked up in the road outside a tiny exhausted Goldcrest, warmed it up popped it onto a blackberry bush in the woodland, not giving out much hope for its chances, 10 mins later with the sun on it it perked up and was busy feeding and flitting about calling. Hopefully she will make it through winter and get to make the long journey back
bigyetiman

Postby Margaid » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:40 pm

Have you seen the "Season of mists and mellow ospreyness" photo of Glaslyn? It's magical. If I can sort out who can do it for me I'm going to get it printed on canvas - fairly large. I can have a copy of the image in exchange for a "donation".
Margaid

Postby bigyetiman » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:04 pm

That is a lovely pic, and will look lovely on canvas. Sort of pic you look at and feel calm. Keep us updated.
bigyetiman

Postby Margaid » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:21 pm

Dyfi Osprey Project web cam now turned off. All the ospreys have left. At the last check all the Glaslyn ospreys are still there, but the chicks were quite a bit younger than the Dyfi birds.
Margaid

PreviousNext

Return to General Chatter / Other things