Glaslyn Ospreys

Got something to say off topic? Want to say hello? This is the place!

Re: Glaslyn Ospreys

Postby rick » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:21 pm

Sorry about somewhat hogging this thread folks. I feel a bit of a cheat (along with probably thousands of other casual web-watchers) to be able to see this osprey family go from eggs to leaving the nest when I know in the past it would have required fortitude, stamina and a raincoat!
Though they have been back to the nest from time to time, the view today of it empty in the drizzle is kind of sad. Caught the bug for keeping an eye out though (we only have buzzards near us but watching them and all the wild birds with new interest) and to see or hear of these 5 again will be thrilling!
Would love to see them catch their first fish but that - like the revolution - will not be televised!
rick
Part of the Flock

Postby Margaid » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:03 am

They are back on the nest quite often to feed on fish caught by Dad as the juveniles aren't catching their own fish. Apparently they are unlikely to do that until they are on the migratory flight. According to the website (go to top of page and click on "Home" then scroll right down) they spend a lot of time sheltering from the rain in tree below the nest. The nest is so exposed, there's no shelter at all and do you blame them for not sitting there?
Margaid
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Postby rick » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:56 am

Oh Facebook, of course! I may have to give in and get an account.
rick
Part of the Flock

Postby Margaid » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:08 pm

I did, although I think you can see stuff without an account you just can't comment.

Z6 is on the nest right now eating a fish.
Margaid

Postby Margaid » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:09 pm

Z8 is there eating too!
Margaid

Postby Margaid » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:13 pm

I also watch the DyfiOspreyproject.com and Aeron and Menai (Z2 and Z3) are on the nest and were briefly visited by dad Monty (he isn't ringed).
Margaid

Postby rick » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:25 pm

Its good to know they will have support all the way up to migrating. They are eating for England (or Wales maybe) at the moment aren't they - hungry teenagers! Its a much bigger investment of work and time than I would have imagined from the parents.
rick
Part of the Flock

Postby bigyetiman » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:40 pm

There is the Rutland site to, once you discover Ospreys you are hooked. Come migration time (Sept ish) it's amazing what can pass over your house on a warm autumn afternoon if you have the time to sit and look up "eyes to the skies" or go to a suitable open space, we have had "kettles" of 18 Buzzard go through together, Montagu's and Hen Harrier, Rough legged Buzzard, Goshawk, Marsh Harrier, Red Kites, Hobby, Peregrine, but no Osprey as yet in spite of a fishery down the road and a lake in the garden, perhaps this autumn. Warm spring afternoons you can try seeing them arrive to. Our biggest haul one afternoon was a total of 34 Buzzards heading south in 2 hours.
Friday evening we had roughly 16,000 swifts heading south in an hour
bigyetiman

Postby Hen-Gen » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:38 pm

Great to hear of their breeding success. Just hope that their wintering grounds remain osprey friendly. Though their are no hen harriers here because there are no voles they are abundant on our nearest neighbours, the Orkneys, because they do have voles.
Infact none of the raptors really live here apart from the odd passage migrant. I hope to see the Sea Eagle return before I shuffle off this mortal coil, as the man said :D .
The drumming of snipe, the piercing call of oyster catchers and the haunting call of curlews thrills me though.
Hen-Gen

Postby bigyetiman » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:21 pm

With you on that one Hen-Gen love the sound of Curlew, for us it is the winter sound of the estuaries along with the Brent Geese. Snipe drumming a spring sound on the fens.
For spring, the song of a Willow Warbler, and then Garden Warbler. The sound of Divers on the Lochs takes some beating to
bigyetiman

PreviousNext

Return to General Chatter / Other things