Is there no limit to human stupidity?

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
MrsBiscuit
Full Member
Posts: 361
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: Is there no limit to human stupidity?

Post by MrsBiscuit » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:48 pm

I think I've had a sense of humour failure as I also couldn't read to the end. When some people are having to use food banks.....
User avatar
LadyA
Full Member
Posts: 572
Joined: Sat May 20, 2017 9:15 am

Re: Is there no limit to human stupidity?

Post by LadyA » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:58 am

chrismahon wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:34 am
Liked the gold toilet. The poshest one I ever saw was by the Tomas Crapper Company- contrary to popular opinion TC didn't invent the flushing toilet, just the ballcock and the water trap parts.
The nicest ones I've ever seen are in a Castle converted to a hotel! They are "antique" (is there such thing as an antique loo?), beautifully decorated with flowers etc.
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
User avatar
Hen-Gen
Full Member
Posts: 585
Joined: Mon May 15, 2017 5:12 pm

Re: Is there no limit to human stupidity?

Post by Hen-Gen » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:28 am

MrsBiscuit wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:48 pm
I think I've had a sense of humour failure as I also couldn't read to the end. When some people are having to use food banks.....
I’m not saying this to be controversial but I get that feeling whenever I read of anyone spending what must be considerable sums of money on vets fees for a poorly chicken. If it’s something I can’t cure myself then it’s decapitation with my meat cleaver. Hens past their productive lives and breeding cockerels I no longer need meet this fate.
I love my dog but I would not consider spending hundreds/thousands of pounds on her as some owners do.

This is not to say I’m heartless at least not in my opinion. I will do whatever I can to give all my animals a high quality of life but when a serious illness threatens then it’s euthenasia.
I include myself in this. I am not going to run up tens of thousands in bills for the NHS. One way or another morphine will solve my problems.
Island of Fetlar, Shetland
User avatar
Tweetypie
Full Member
Posts: 395
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 8:44 am

Re: Is there no limit to human stupidity?

Post by Tweetypie » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:10 pm

It's becoming all too common with these pampered pets. The worst case I saw was last year in a small town in Nottinghamshire. A woman pushing a pram with a tiny chihuahua sat in there, wearing a pink tutu !! These folk must have lost the plot.
User avatar
LadyA
Full Member
Posts: 572
Joined: Sat May 20, 2017 9:15 am

Re: Is there no limit to human stupidity?

Post by LadyA » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:44 am

Hen-Gen wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:28 am
MrsBiscuit wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:48 pm
I think I've had a sense of humour failure as I also couldn't read to the end. When some people are having to use food banks.....
I’m not saying this to be controversial but I get that feeling whenever I read of anyone spending what must be considerable sums of money on vets fees for a poorly chicken. If it’s something I can’t cure myself then it’s decapitation with my meat cleaver. Hens past their productive lives and breeding cockerels I no longer need meet this fate.
I love my dog but I would not consider spending hundreds/thousands of pounds on her as some owners do.

This is not to say I’m heartless at least not in my opinion. I will do whatever I can to give all my animals a high quality of life but when a serious illness threatens then it’s euthenasia.
I'm the same. I was recently castigated soundly on an FB poultry page for advising that a commercial type hybrid, who, from the pic that was posted, was clearly extremely ill, should be culled. I explained that with my own, if one appears even slightly off colour, they all get a strong dose of Herban for a few days, and the suspect hen is given around 48 hours to show signs of improvement. If she doesn't improve, I cull her. I feel that this is far kinder than subjecting the hen to a lot of handling, being stuffed in a box and enduring a long car journey to a vet, who, let's be honest, are usually only guessing where chickens are concerned. A swift end, in their own surroundings.
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
bigyetiman
Full Member
Posts: 850
Joined: Tue May 16, 2017 8:27 pm

Re: Is there no limit to human stupidity?

Post by bigyetiman » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:33 pm

A friend of ours always said, if you want to make money design something for pets.
In several pubs in Scotland we came across dog drinking stations which was a shelf with 3 glass barrels on filled with tap water, Highland spring water, or Evian water. With a range of different bowls by the side for you to use. They should have had a barrel of mucky puddle water as well as most dogs seem to prefer that
User avatar
Marigold
Moderator
Posts: 6245
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:27 pm

Re: Is there no limit to human stupidity?

Post by Marigold » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:04 pm

And so do most chickens!
I often see ice creams for dogs when on holiday. I sometimes let her share a lick of the end of my cone, but have no desire to share hers!
User avatar
Marigold
Moderator
Posts: 6245
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:27 pm

Re: Is there no limit to human stupidity?

Post by Marigold » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:11 pm

Today's entry in the Human Stupidity Stakes. Especially the follow-up comments on Facebook by the girlfriend!
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... n-tanzania
bigyetiman
Full Member
Posts: 850
Joined: Tue May 16, 2017 8:27 pm

Re: Is there no limit to human stupidity?

Post by bigyetiman » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:48 pm

One for the Darwin Awards methinks.
Margaid
Full Member
Posts: 1209
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:27 pm

Re: Is there no limit to human stupidity?

Post by Margaid » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:02 pm

Marigold wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:11 pm
Today's entry in the Human Stupidity Stakes. Especially the follow-up comments on Facebook by the girlfriend!
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... n-tanzania
The whole of one's live has to be on Facebook it seems otherwise maybe you don't exist! I'm fond of my friends but I don't need/want to know that they are having coffee somewhere in Shrewsbury or are at a restaurant in Bristol!

Looks like the prospective bridegroom forgot he had to have enough breath left to get back up to the surface :( :roll:
Post Reply

Return to “The Dustbath”