Where is everybody?

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!

Re: Where is everybody?

Postby Margaid » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:14 am

He was/is in the Bantam weight class, and at 1.45 m tall is even shorter than me! Just watched a Youtube clip of him still weightlifting at 77

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NgEDz5eteQ He's now 81!
Margaid
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Postby dinosaw » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:28 am

Not bad for 77 in that video is he?. I do find this personal pronoun stuff where people wan't to be called "ne" "ey" or "ze" and then want it enshrined in law as getting into the realms of the surreal.
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Postby Marigold » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:19 am

In the latest scandal, people seem to be surprised that not everybody who works for an aid agency is necessarily a saint.
Marigold

Postby dinosaw » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:54 am

Yes Marigold, not condoning any of the behaviour but there is the danger of throwing out the baby with the bathwater with regards to Oxfam.
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Postby Hen-Gen » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:54 am

Guess you're right but I think what really gets people going is the senior management trying to hush it up. This has happened in the C of E right up to the Archbishop. Sack em I say!
Hen-Gen

Postby dinosaw » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:31 pm

Happens in every single organisation of any size Hen-Gen, who wants their dirty laundry aired for all to see?. In my experience people guilty of misconduct at work, whatever form that may take, are rarely sacked (in this case I believe Oxfam sacked 4 and forced 3 to resign). It is more often the case that they are asked to resign or paid off to avoid a tribunal, corporations don't want the bad publicity. It may be wrong but thats the way of the world.
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Postby bigyetiman » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:06 pm

I've been scuppered twice by the Luftwaffe!!
I am control this week for the buses and yesterday they shut the QEII bridge and tunnels to bring that wartime bomb downriver which caused traffic jams everywhere mainly because people are incapable of leaving roundabouts clear. Plus we had to suspend the X80 service which goes to Kent via the bridge/tunnels. In the end said bomb didn't go down river until much later.
Today they find another bomb by an industrial estate right next to the bridge, everything closed again. Had a woman want to know where the bomb had come from, to which I replied the sky . Then she said she didn't see how it could be by the bridge as Hitler only bombed London and Coventry, I didn't quite feel up to a history lesson about everywhere else that was bombed, and said that pilots often thought they had reached a target and dropped bombs early or didn't drop them at the target as weather etc may have prevented it so they would offload them before going home. To which she said "I have to get my daughters birthday present so who can I make an official complaint to in Germany " I was going to direct her to our German driver.
bigyetiman

Postby dinosaw » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:20 pm

Just as well Germany invaded Russia when it did or this would be way more common. Most of the Luftwaffe went east leaving only a few squadrons to carry out nuisance raids after June 41. In Germany they defuse a bomb every fortnight due to the huge amount the RAF and USAAF dropped in comparison.
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Postby bigyetiman » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:52 pm

There must be loads of bombs in the Thames and the channel, not to mention elsewhere. Plus the USS Richard Montgomery sunk off Southend Pier packed full of 1000 tonnes of explosives. If it goes up it will take out the Isle of Sheppey so it's not all bad. It is visible with it's masts above water, and in spite of keep clear signs each year some jet skiers think it is clever to go round it. There is also a piece of a Mulberry harbour a little way down from pier to.
Yesterdays bomb was taken down to the MOD base at Foulness island to be exploded Dinosaw, just in case you wondered. I think they should have let detonated it at Tilbury would have been a great improvement
bigyetiman

Postby Margaid » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:18 pm

Oh gee! They're unbelievable aren't they? You have got it in for the Isle of Sheppey and Tilbury BYM.
According to a statement made by the Ministry of Defence, bomb disposal squads defuse about 60 WW2 bombs a year - double eh rate in Germany Dinosaw.
Margaid

PreviousNext

Return to The Dustbath