Thank you Father Christmas!

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
bigyetiman

Re: Thank you Father Christmas!

Post by bigyetiman » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:50 am

I would have sent mine straight back to. That really is bad workmanship
I have done the same as Marigold when replacing a coop just given a good clean out under the coop, sanitised the ground and put coop back in same place
bigjim
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by bigjim » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:36 pm

For Xmas I got a dead bird and due new year, another. Down to three now.
I think my auction rush had gotten me a load of birds carrying something that ain't good. Funnily enough they don't all die at the same time.
The ones I have left were labelled up as vaccinated. Against what i dunno. If these three die I may well give up chicken keeping and get a lurcher.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:30 pm

Very sorry to hear that, bigjim. any idea what's wrong with them?
It's always a big risk, buying birds at an auction. Nobody sends their best stock to auctions, and you don't know where the birds have come from or how they've been kept. At the auction they're in cages which may have infectious germs fro previous birds, and the whole process is so noisy and high-stress for them that its not surprising so many go down with illness.
In a way, it might be for the best if the other three did die, as then you'd have the option of disinfecting everything and then starting again in spring with some young, healthy birds from a trusted breeder, where you can see how they've been kept before buying. It would be a shame to give up, when your next experience would be bound to be better.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:40 pm

Sorry to hear this to bigjim, we had a friend who bought various fowl at auctions and had no end of problems.
Don't give up, try getting some hens next time from a reputable supplier and see how you go
bigjim

Post by bigjim » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:28 am

https://ibb.co/fzE846
Well the three I've got left have started laying. Looks like the marans have a green egg laying father. Pic may not be the best but they're an olive colour. Quite surprised and I'm pleased as punch.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:26 am

Lovely, well done. I'm very glad they've come through OK.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:25 pm

Well done, your patience has been rewarded
bigjim

Post by bigjim » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:29 pm

Was putting them away last night and saw the biggest hen hadn't got and feathers underneath her, moved her to one side and that leg was bold too. Thought, great I've got a feather pecker. Tonight, the little one had a bold bum. So I think we've found our feather pecker.
I wouldn't mind but they're kept in a nice big run and they have plenty of food to peck at and keep themselves occupied.
I've taken action and hopefully after a week of it not doing it, it'll forget and they can go back to normal.

Return to “The Dustbath”