Storm Caroline

Got something to say off topic? Want to say hello? This is the place!

Storm Caroline

Postby bigyetiman » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:26 am

Hope you are snug and safe Hen-Gen as Caroline sweeps through and any other P F members from up north
bigyetiman
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Re: Storm Caroline

Postby LadyA » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:54 am

Was just thinking the same! It was so windy and wet here last night that I thought that was Caroline, but now this morning, they are saying it will be coming tonight! Along with very cold temps, ice and snow! Boo!
LadyA

Postby rick » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:37 am

It has just started raining here in the Midlands. We usually just get a small taste of the extremes happening elsewhere but then we don't get to see the splendour of the landscape when the sun breaks through either.
Stay safe everyone.
rick
Part of the Flock

Postby Hen-Gen » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:40 am

I've been out this morning putting water buckets and feed troughs in the shed. Topped up the chickens feed and water because I definitely won't be seeing them tomorrow. Our all island Christmas Dinner on Saturday has been postponed. Schools shut, no ferries etc. Tilley lamps prepared and stocked up with gas cylinders for the inevitable power outage.
It's how I imagine the Blitz spirit. Should have bought a tin hat and a Vera Lyn CD!
But, as Rick says, it's a fair trade for all the benefits of living here.
Hen-Gen

Postby NicolsT » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:29 pm

Keep safe and warm Hen-Gen.
NicolsT
Forum Contributor / Grower

Postby Hen-Gen » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:07 pm

OK I have to report that it was nowt special. About 75mph and twisted some sheeted hurdles but no other damage. Barely worth rummaging through my cupboards for hats and gloves!
On the theme of hurdles a neighbour has appraised me of the way to go. Galvanised sheeted hurdles are about £100 each and blow over in the gales. Or you can get wooden pallets for free, stand them on end and bang fence posts through the middle. Total cost about £3 each! They are resistant to the wind and the sheep are just as happy to shelter from the wind behind them whatever direction it comes from.
Hen-Gen

Postby rick » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:47 pm

Well it looks like we will get to see if we are made of similar stuff down here Hen-Gen because its on route through the middle, north to south, for once.
I've got a new bow and was heading down to the archery field on Sunday but it doesn't look very promising now.
rick
Part of the Flock

Postby Marigold » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:51 am

Glad to hear you managed OK, HenGen. We were due to drive to Lichfield today for family weekend but common sense has prevailed, us being only timid southerners. We are wondering if we might get a tiny sprinkle of snow tomorrow. We haven't had any down here for nearly 10 years and the dog hasn't ever seen it, though she gets very excited when I play her videos of dogs in snow on YouTube.
I used pallets and posts to make compost heaps when I had an allotment. Just tied the front pallet to the back 3 to make a square and then dropped it forward when I needed to dig out the compost. Added 3 extra pallets make the second container, and lined the pallets with scrap wood and plastic to stop the compost falling into the gaps. Nowadays I walk the dog past the allotments and am pleased to see that, 15 years on, the system is still in use. And my 7 pallets were free!
Interested to hear of another of your many talents, Rick. Are you keeping in practice for the next fox attempt?
Marigold

Postby chrismahon » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:49 am

Good tip with the pallets Marigold- we have a dozen here and a very tatty compost heap that needs attention.

Local forecasts are not very reliable, so three sources often gives three different predictions. They all agree however that Sunday and Monday are going to be horrendous down here, which is pretty unusual. The BBC forecast often reliably shows the prediction of front movement with precipitation across France and they agree with the French, but they show snow down here, which is a pretty rare occurrence indeed! There is no road snow clearing equipment or gritting around here and with the steep hills and no tractor we could be stuck in for a while? Fortunately we have a good fire and a stock of wine.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Postby Hen-Gen » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:28 am

Best of luck to all you Southerners. As you say you don't get it often but when you do then it can be horrendous. I was a child in London in 1963 . Possibly the coldest that I have ever experienced.
Pallets are wonderful things. I have seen plastic ones but have not been able to get my hands on any yet.
Fire and wine, chrismahon. Sounds good to me and leads on to spicey buttered crumpets and mulled wine. :D
Hen-Gen

Next

Return to General Chatter / Other things