When are the waterfowl shows?

The place to discuss Shows and Showing Waterfowl.

Moderator: dorsetduckowner

Tim
Site Admin

Re: When are the waterfowl shows?

Post by Tim » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:06 am

Yes, some of the runners had more dished bills and the heads looked different - eyes further back.

I'm no Indian Runner expert but they certainly looked different to what I have seen in the UK.

I took lots of photos - as most birds had wide bars on their cages, you could just about squeeze a camera lens up to the bars and take a photo without flash if they were calm enough. The runners however were much more difficult, being more nervous, they had a barrier 3 feet away from the cage front to stop you from getting too close and startling them so I could take a limited number of photos that were any good.

Sorry to hi-jack your post Rooster! I will post photos under a separate post in the Showing Waterfowl section once I have had a chance to go through them...
steeple ducks
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by steeple ducks » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:16 pm

I'm looking forward to the photos too. Abacot Rangers would be my next choice of duck if I do not control myself (oh after a couple of muscovy ducks for broodies) and it looks like I'll be breeding the Chick pea (Blau-gelb?) Runners next year that are standard in europe but not here yet.
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:58 pm

It's going to take me a while to sort through all of my photos but here is a photo I took of a 'Blau-Gelb' Runner.

I thought Blau Gelb were standardised by the BWA as Apricot Trout?
0948---Apricot-Trout-Indian-Runner-Drake.jpg
A Blau-Gelb Indian Runner
0948---Apricot-Trout-Indian-Runner-Drake.jpg (50.63 KiB) Viewed 3873 times
steeple ducks
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by steeple ducks » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:21 pm

Yes you're right I should have said Chick Pea yellow = Erbsgelb it has the addition of the sex linked brown gene so the ducks are deeper yellow and the speculum brownish. The drakes look v similar. www.runnerduck.net/new_colours
yorkshirepekin

Post by yorkshirepekin » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:01 pm

looks to have a nice strong head, i do like apricots :)
Rooster

Post by Rooster » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:47 pm

I think I'll go to the British Waterfowl Association Devon and Cornwall show in a few weeks, that seems to be the best bet at the moment. I was going to go to the BWA solihull show but I had to work. :roll:

Return to “Showing Waterfowl”