Looking after Exhibition Ducks???

The place to discuss Shows and Showing Waterfowl.

Moderator: dorsetduckowner

Upper Brook Farm
Forum Contributor / Grower

Looking after Exhibition Ducks???

Post by Upper Brook Farm » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:58 am

Hi,

I have shown waterfowl a couple of times now, with some excellent results.

I was wondering how everyone kept them? I have Rouens, various colours of call ducks, Campbells, and appleyards.

We keep them on grass and feed them pellets, but recently I noticed that my white call ducks were developing a yellow tinge.

How should I keep them to stop this from happening? I was planning to show at the National but I doubt I will be able to if it gets any worse.

Thanks
James
dorsetduckowner
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Re: Looking after Exhibition Ducks???

Post by dorsetduckowner » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:18 pm

Hi James :)
glad you are getting on well with your ducks. I don't show ducks at all, but I do know that the yellow tinge is actually a preferred trait in some species, especially proper Pekin ducks. They should have a pale canary yellow hue to their feathers :) This is nothing to do with feed and everything to do with their genetics. You are lucky, its a beautiful trait.
This link shows 'proper' Pekin ducks (very rare now) and mentions the yellow colour:

http://domestic-waterfowl.co.uk/pekin.html

Zo
x
Upper Brook Farm
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by Upper Brook Farm » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:47 pm

dorsetduckowner wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:18 pm
Hi James :)
glad you are getting on well with your ducks. I don't show ducks at all, but I do know that the yellow tinge is actually a preferred trait in some species, especially proper Pekin ducks. They should have a pale canary yellow hue to their feathers :) This is nothing to do with feed and everything to do with their genetics. You are lucky, its a beautiful trait.
This link shows 'proper' Pekin ducks (very rare now) and mentions the yellow colour:

http://domestic-waterfowl.co.uk/pekin.html

Zo
x
Hi Zo,

Yes, Pekins do need yellow colouring but white calls are supposed to be white - I wondered if you knew anything about these?
Thanks once again,
James
dorsetduckowner
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by dorsetduckowner » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:57 pm

hi! Not really apart from the fact that its likely to be genetic rather than feed related! Ashton has some good books on it I think x

Return to “Showing Waterfowl”