For Sale - Abacot Ranger Ducks - Beds. or meet via a show

Advertise your wish list or stock for sale here.

Moderator: dorsetduckowner

Forum rules
Please put 'For Sale' or 'Wanted' in your title and your location if you are selling to help people search.
E.g. For Sale - White Indian Runner Ducks - Bedfordshire

Re: For Sale - Abacot Ranger Ducks - Beds. or meet via a sho

Postby Tim » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:56 pm

Hi bchadwick,

Yes, you can cross bloodlines. But I guess I've been trying to sell pairs of birds to people who will continue to keep the bloodline pure...

Basically, the UK created the Abacot Ranger and they became popular in Germany. During the 1960's, there was a Hybrid Cross created by Leslie Bonnet called the Whalesbury Hybrid (You can pick his book up on ebay cheap called Practical Duck Keeping which talks about it.) The drake looked very similar to the Abacot Ranger. The Abacots were low in numbers, the Whalesbury Hybrids very popular and alot of the UK Abacots got crossed with these.

The result has been many breeders won't touch the Abacots because you get so much variation in the offspring - orange or yellow bills, and odd markings. These are throw backs from the Whalesbury Hybrid.

I tried UK Abacots for a number of years from different breeders and couldn't get 'pure' birds from the offspring. So eventually, I bit the bullet and went to Germany importing birds.

The German birds are slightly smaller and ducks can be slightly lighter in colour but have not been messed with so the offspring are all fairly similar.

I'm going to the Federation -- but that's my last show of the season.

I don't use a courier. I charge £45 per pair and a courier would probably cost £30+ or more...

I realise it's difficult with drakes but I'd really recommend you hatch a reasonable number of birds out from the pair, then get a good duck to drake ratio - 2 drakes to 5 or 6 ducks would be good. You'll find the drakes argue over the females and bother them too much with repeated mating due to competition.

Tim
Tim

Postby bchadwick » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:11 pm

Hi
Thanks for all your info - very interesting.
We will carry on with the pair we have and keep looking for a couple of females, even if it takes some time, and hopefully this pair will breed next year.
bchadwick

Postby Tim » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:47 pm

It should be fine to keep a pair together and then hatch from them to get females. You will of course have the drakes to contend with but you can at least be sure to get some females next year. You can collect eggs over 10 days or so, turn them daily and then incubate after 10 days when you have a reasonable number of eggs,

It would be interesting to see some photos of the offspring to see how they turn out too...

Let me know if I can help in future.

Tim
Tim

Postby philletts » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:28 pm

Dear Tim,

I have purchased some hatching eggs from you in the past. Unfortunately the fox visited last night and took my last trio. Can I npurchase some more or even some breeding trios?

Regards

Phil
philletts
Newcomer / Hatchling

Postby Tim » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:00 pm

Hi Phil,

Sorry to hear about the fox getting your ducks. I don't have any eggs at the moment, it's a little early but should have some in a couple of months if you want to remind me then?

I normally have pairs for sale October - November time but I have unfortunately just dispatched my 'spare' drakes a couple of weeks ago so don't have any pairs available now.
Tim

Postby philletts » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:32 pm

Tim,

thank you. I will request again at the end of February.

Regards

Phil
philletts
Newcomer / Hatchling

Postby philletts » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:23 pm

Tim. Have your AR's started laying yet? If yes, can I purchase some please?
Phil
philletts
Newcomer / Hatchling

Postby philletts » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:21 pm

Hi Tim.

Have your AR's began laying yet?
philletts
Newcomer / Hatchling

Postby fido1964 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:27 pm

Hi have you a trio of abacot rangers for sale ifso how much? I could collect from Stafford show ground if you are showing there thanks jeff
fido1964
Newcomer / Hatchling

Postby Tim » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:46 pm

Hi Jeff,

I've selected my stock to over winter now and didn't plan on selling any more this year -I will have a look what I've got tomorrow and see if I can spare a pair or a trio.

Tim.
Tim

PreviousNext

Return to Waterfowl For Sale or Wanted