chicken thieves about.BEWARE

Advertise your wish list or stock for sale here.
Forum rules
Please put 'For Sale' or 'Wanted' in your title and your location if you are selling to help people search.
E.g. For Sale - Orpington Growers - Bedfordshire
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Re: chicken thieves about.BEWARE

Post by chrismahon » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:10 am

Taken from a friend of ours near Burton upon trent, Staffordshire last week a dozen Wellsummers. Apparently chickens are stolen and sold at poultry markets immediately on a regular basis. Leek, Penkridge, Derby and Melton Mobray are regular outlets so I am told. Be careful what you buy everyone, because if an owner traces them to the Market they were sold at they will be recovered and you will be out of pocket. Even worse to be 'in receipt of stolen goods' is a criminal offence.
Lavinia
Newcomer / Hatchling

Post by Lavinia » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:39 pm

Hi
We had two thefts of 16 and 18 week old ducks a few years back , spent 2 thousand pound on cctv and then we had a fox problem really did think about giving up but i feel as i am winning my battle eventually....a vet school nearby lost there lambs so have been active about clearing the fox problems in the area. I know it seems excessive about the cctv but my son thought that someone was outside all the time watching and couldn't sleep for the thought that he might get stolen...

Lavinia
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:41 pm

Poor lad! Increasing problem that we will be leaving behind hopefully. Bet it will be years before I dare leave the coops unlocked at night though. There aren't any foxes there either as the French haven't banned hunting with hounds and the locals shoot them on site because they all have chickens.
Margaid
Part of the Flock

Post by Margaid » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:48 pm

Unless the law has changed in recent years Chris goods bought at a "market overt", if bought in good faith, cannot be recovered from the purchaser if stolen, nor would you be charged with handling or possesing stolen goods.

Thedefinition of a "market overt" is "an open, public and legally constituted market or fair". Not sure what the legal position is about car boot sales and also people should note that it must ba an open market i.e. not in a market hall. Someone selling stolen birds will have a good tale to back up thie ownership.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:00 pm

I stand corrected Margaid. Just quoting the criminal law solicitor friend who had the chickens stolen. He spent all week driving around different markets looking for them as well.
Margaid
Part of the Flock

Post by Margaid » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:46 pm

No I'm the one with egg on my face Chris (if you'll excuse the expression). I need to buy an up to date edtion of th OUP Dictionary of Law.

The Sale of Goods (Amendment) Act 1994 repealed the section on "market ouvert" so all stolen goods are just that - it was you saying your friend was a criminal law solicitor which meant I just googled "market ouvert" and found the 1994 Act.

Your warning is therefore very important - and not just for buying chickens.
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:21 pm

Interesting... I didn't realise you could get into trouble like this!

I'm too set in my ways now to buy from a market... I breed everything or swap birds if I need a new bloodline. Every now and again I buy in some birds but that is going to a specific breeder and waiting until the right birds are available but I don't keep many different breeds ;-)

Well worth noting what you say though.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:40 pm

To be honest I would not buy from an auction or sale unless it was just general cheap laying stock to be kept permanently completely separate from our Pedigrees. Like Tim I will go to a specific trustworthy breeder. Having said that I did want the TNN trio at the National, but they were already sold. Turns out they were sold by the very reputable lady I bought our trio of hens from in Leeds. She regretted selling them for just £60 though and I regretted not getting to the show sooner!
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:47 pm

Oh Chris, that's upsetting. It's sad when you miss something like that!
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:59 pm

Well as you can see from the avatar Tim, we're all sorted now but it would have saved weeks of hastle. Amazing how broody the little madams can be though. I was expecting it, but two out of three at the moment and always one of the three! Otherwise they lay really big eggs for such a small bird, bit like Leghorn bantams.

Return to “Chickens For Sale or Wanted”