Bloody rats!

The place to discuss worms, mites, lice, rodents, wild birds, foxes, badgers, dogs etc.
rick

Re: Bloody rats!

Post by rick »

Since about Feb (or maybe earlier at first report) we have had a litter (?) of young rats show up. They quickly went from 6 to 3 and I saw at least one being carried off by our neighbours cat. It has been the bird feeders mostly to blame but Ive put out the trail cam and they are climbing into the run over my slippery DPC plastic edge to the top of the 1/2 inch mesh. Its really interesting to watch them do it - just one bit on a corner has wrinkles that they can get a foothold on. And, little tykes. they have been chewing it away though that just shows that it bothers them. Have put up some fresh and made it smoother and put the camera out again tonight to see what happens. My neighbour has put out some poison - it has mostly been hitting what is left of the mouse population so far :(
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

A couple of days ago Poppy said she thought there was a rats nest in some bales of Aubiose I had stored and covered by our back gate. She was right, of course. They had bitten a hole in the bag and made a hollow inside. She was very disappointed not to be allowed to enlarge the hole and dig it all out for me.
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie »

It was my day off today and the sun was shining. After cleaning out the girls, I decided to treat myself to a laze on my sunlounger. I opened the shed door and to my horror, it had been partially eaten by mice or rats? I dont know how they got in either. There's no food in there to scoff. I was fuming, I only bought it last year.😒 Ive put some poison blocks down now, but I suspect they won't be back, as I don't think they fancy eating gardening tools !! 😉
dianefairhall
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by dianefairhall »

rick wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:55 am
Since about Feb (or maybe earlier at first report) we have had a litter (?) of young rats show up. They quickly went from 6 to 3 and I saw at least one being carried off by our neighbours cat. It has been the bird feeders mostly to blame but Ive put out the trail cam and they are climbing into the run over my slippery DPC plastic edge to the top of the 1/2 inch mesh. Its really interesting to watch them do it - just one bit on a corner has wrinkles that they can get a foothold on. And, little tykes. they have been chewing it away though that just shows that it bothers them. Have put up some fresh and made it smoother and put the camera out again tonight to see what happens. My neighbour has put out some poison - it has mostly been hitting what is left of the mouse population so far :(
I'm surprised your neighbour has put down poison, Rick, if he has cats that catch rats. Sounds pretty dangerous to me.
LadyA

Post by LadyA »

I've been keeping traps baited here. In wire cages, so birds, hedgehogs cats, foxes etc don't get caught. Bloomin rats are bold as brass, running around.
There are five less now. Just in a few days.
I could do with more traps!

Sent from my SM-A415F using Tapatalk

Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
Icemaiden

Post by Icemaiden »

I had a dilemma a couple of weeks ago when I found a dead rat in the garden. Does it go in the garden bin, as I found it in the garden? It's clearly not recyclable, so it can't go in that bin. Does it go into the general rubbish bin, or the food waste bin? Answers on a postcard please...
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
rick

Post by rick »

dianefairhall wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:13 pm
rick wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:55 am
I'm surprised your neighbour has put down poison, Rick, if he has cats that catch rats. Sounds pretty dangerous to me.
It is dangerous and I'm against doing it myself. My neighbour doesn't have a cat but my other neighbour does and I was watching Lily out hunting last night and thinking that she needs to be careful. It is silly - the only reason they will eat the poison is if they are desperate, but that is because the food has been removed. Removing the food is really the main point.
MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit »

If you remove the food source (I know someone who has rats because they feed the birds and there is spilt food which is a feast for pigeons and rats alike) will rats actually move away? I was wondering if they had become used to the food, and set up home giving birth to more rats, would they move on?
LadyA

Post by LadyA »

MrsBiscuit wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:27 am
If you remove the food source (I know someone who has rats because they feed the birds and there is spilt food which is a feast for pigeons and rats alike) will rats actually move away? I was wondering if they had become used to the food, and set up home giving birth to more rats, would they move on?
This is the issue here too. My neighbour feeds the birds, and there are lots of hidey holes to make nests around my place. Under the deck seems to be a favourite! I've thought about getting a couple of feral cats, but although my last outdoor cat was great for killing rats (and would leave them lined up neatly in a row, paws in the air!), I've notice so many more birds around since he died that I'm reluctant to get more outside cats. The two I have are "special needs", and have to be indoor only.
But yesterday, even though I have the traps in cages, somehow a blackbird got in and was killed. :(
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
dianefairhall
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by dianefairhall »

We don't seem to be bothered by rats here - maybe it's an island thing. We have a wild bird feeder as well as the hens' food and our neighbours have a barn (lambing shed) where they store the sheep food. We've been here two and a half years and have never seen a rat. Plus we have two cats and they haven't found any either.

Return to “Pests & Predators”