Poultry mite invasion in my garden and house

The place to discuss worms, mites, lice, rodents, wild birds, foxes, badgers, dogs etc.
Jaffa Cake
Forum Contributor / Grower

Poultry mite invasion in my garden and house

Post by Jaffa Cake » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:47 pm

Help!!!

I had a massive red / grey mite infestation last year ... I did all the above burnt the coop built a new one bought a plastic coop. My chicken coop is mite free .. I am not. They have taken over my garden and at night are all over my window ledges and house ...I fought with a bathroom window to keep them out last night. I am at my wits end. I called in pest control and they said that there is nothing that they can do ... I have managed to insecticide my own house but I am finding them creeping in. Last night I taped up my bathroom window are I had an invasion. I have moved out of my own home for now as I am so freaked out. I went out in the garden last night to check my coop at midnight with a torch and it seems mite free as have been smiting and diatomacsous earthing and poultry shielding but they were all over the walls of my house!! I have moved out today as I am so worried about my cats and dogs ... I have left my chickens to fend for themselves as I had a horrendous night trying to keep the mites at bay. I have an old house where the windows don't fit and there are holes into the house everywhere. It is a timber framed house and I am scared that they are living in the walls. I don't know what to do. I have been smiting the garden and the pest man said they have moved to the walls of my house because they can no longer be on the ground as i have smitted everywhere and have dia all around my house. I don't know what to do and don't want to go home. I have moved in with my dad ... can anyone help me!! My garden and house walls are overrun and I can't get up to the roof of the house to deal with them. I was so badly bitten last year and all my animals and myself fought to get rid of them. I wish that I had never had chickens as I can no longer go out in my garden or let my animals out. I just go out to check on girls and run back in ... my life has become unbearable... I don't know what to do!
rick

Re: Poultry mite invasion in my garden and house

Post by rick » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:25 pm

Hi Jaffa Cake and welcome to the forum.
Whatever it is you have there it isn't red mite. Red mite need birds (and only birds) to live - they don't do any of the things you are describing and they would only be in your house walls if your house was full of roosting chickens.
Red mite feed on chickens at night by leaving a hiding place near the perch (in the wild it would be under the bark of a tree branch), and crawling onto the perch and onto the hens. They leave the same way back to their hiding place before sunrise. They can travel several meters for a meal (if desperate and that would mean unsuccessful and very few)) but, typically, only a few tens of centimeters to the perch from within a crack or gap in the coop construction.
Whatever is gong on I don't think your chickens have anything to do with it.
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:27 pm

Haven't ever heard of such a thing. But I found this: https://poultrykeeper.com/blog/will-red ... our-house/
Are you sure they are redmite/chicken mites and not these: https://www.independent.ie/regionals/ne ... 93629.html
I'm afraid I can't offer any suggestions about getting rid or stopping them. Unless you try making a sort of sludgy paint of diatom and paint it along the bottom of the wall of your house, and around all the window edges?
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
Jaffa Cake

Post by Jaffa Cake » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:56 pm

Thanks everso much for your replies. I read the link that you posted before so I decided to try and find someone who could help. The pest control guy said that they seemed to be poultry mites. They are exactly the same thing that I caught in my chicken coop last year. I went away for 4 days and came back to a millions and millions of them. I walked into the chicken coop and they ran all over me and I was finding them on my cats and my dogs in my house. I made the mistake of dragging the coop out of the run and burning it in my front yard. I managed to spread them all over the place. I didn't know what I was doing. They look exactly the same as the mites that I discovered last year. After an extremely cold winter I expected anything to be dead. I found them a couple of weeks ago in the old place where the coop was and sprayed everything. The pest control guy said that as I have sprayed that place they moved elsewhere. I went up to my house at 1am last night to check that my chickens didn't have them in their coop and they were fine but they were all over the walls of my house and office. I spent all night spraying and then left. I am really at a lose as what to do. I did discover a wasp nest too and the pest control guy got rid of that. Am at a loss ... The pest control guy suggested that I pressure wash my house but won't that just spread them? With the smite last night they were just falling off with the spray ...
Jaffa Cake

Post by Jaffa Cake » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:00 pm

I don't think that they are clover mites ... I had a look at those too. They don't look like what was described.
rick

Post by rick » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:15 pm

Jaffa Cake wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:56 pm
...they were all over the walls of my house and office.
Poultry red mite just don't do that - its not possible! If your pest control guy says they are then they don't have a clue and are making it up as they go along.

If it looks the same as the 'mite' you had last year then I'm wondering if it was red mite you had then or something else.

It sounds a bit like you have a bin full of rotting fruit somewhere and the fruit flies are going crazy!

... If you can get a picture of the beasties? Where are you in the world Jaffa Cake?
Last edited by rick on Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaffa Cake

Post by Jaffa Cake » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:54 pm

I know what fruit flies look like ... they come out at night and run all over my window sills. this is actually a serious situation for me and I came on here for help :-)08
rick

Post by rick » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:17 pm

It wouldn't help you to suggest solutions for poultry red mite when what your describing doest sound like poultry red mite (Dermanyssus gallinae).

Is it a tropical climate where you are?

... it is possible -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamasoidosis

Jet washing the house would do nothing at all. If it is an infestation like this (in the garden though???) then you will need a pest control professional. The one you have at the moment doesn't fill me with confidence!
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:51 pm

Not sure if this is a UK site, but lots of advice about infestations in the home, too....

https://www.birdmites.org/infested.html
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:55 am

hi Jaffacake and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry it's at such a stressful time for you.

I think the biggest clue to whether these are actually red mites lies in what you say about your coop and chickens seemingly being unaffected, which its the only good thing about the whole nightmare situation. If your infestation was redmite, the coop would be swarming with them and by now your chickens would be dead or dying from anaemia because the mites would be sucking their blood dry every night. For redmite to be present in such enormous numbers all over your house and garden, they would have to be feeding on some living creatures, a few apparently unaffected chickens wouldn't be enough to sustain them, so I agree with Rick that whatever you have, it's highly unlikely to be redmite. On this forum, we are very experienced in diagnosing and treating redmite, (I'm sorry to say!) but of course we can't say for certain unless you can post some good photos of the critters.

A sudden outbreak of redmite in large numbers has to come from somewhere they are already established. There was once a post on another forum from someone who had recently imported a large amount of wood chip into her garden, which turned out to be from trees where many birds had been roosting, and the wood chip came impregnated with enormous numbers of redmite which swarmed all over the place, everywhere, similar to yours. But as you don't mention buying any wood chip, or having trees cut down and shredded on or near your land, it seems unlikely that this could be the cause.

Please could you let us know whether you are in the UK? If you live anywhere else, especially if it's warmer, its possible there may be other kinds of mites which we've never experienced that can reach plague proportions. Wherever you live, I would advise you to get help from higher up in Pest Control and Public Health sources, and keep on badgering them until you get a definite diagnosis and practical help. A bit of publicity in the local news outlets may concentrate their minds, and also you may find others have the same problem. It's unlikely yours is the only outbreak in your local area. With luck, this outbreak may run its course and the mites, or fruit flies, or whatever they are, will have a short life cycle, unlike redmite, and will die off in a week or two, but you still need to know what they are in case eggs etc are being left behind in your house, to prevent a recurrence next season. There's god advice on the link Tweetipie has posted, even if the company isn't in your own area.

Return to “Pests & Predators”