Fox raid, again

The place to discuss worms, mites, lice, rodents, wild birds, foxes, badgers, dogs etc.
3441sussex
Forum Contributor / Grower

Re: Fox raid,again

Post by 3441sussex » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:22 am

I think your only solution is an electric fence with three/four strands of wire around your run or runs. This type of electric fence will follow the contours of your garden.

I agree with Marigold when and if you catch the fox it will need to be dispatched. The trap is not built for transportation of a live animal and it would be irresponsible to give someone else your problem.
rick
Part of the Flock

Post by rick » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:39 am

I was just thinking along the lines 3441sussex has just said Valerie. However difficult it seems to fence it's the best investment of your efforts. How much of the boundary is unfencable? Even if you can't make it totally fox tight at least they won't be able to be quite so relaxed in their attacks and you'd have less remaining fronts to defend.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:30 pm

I Googled Fox Control in Surrey. Several entries, including this one, might be helpful perhaps, Val.
http://www.surreyfoxcontrol.co.uk/
In fact, there were 9 firms advertising on the first google page.
alani
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by alani » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:22 pm

I got more chickens and have caged them in small run(metal grills all around so they cant burrow) and solid building.
These foxes are casually coming into my garden now,but are not trying to get to the chickens now.They must have given up.
However,I had 5 white doves in shed for past month and decided it was time for them to exercise their wings,I suspect the first one to emerge,was taken by the fox.I have now fenced around the dove exit,so they can leave without attack.
Its a war out there.

By the way,I got my first egg again this morning,its an expensive egg,maybe I should have just settled for Asda free range for a quid?
valeriebutterley
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by valeriebutterley » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:16 am

Morning (early!!) everyone,
My girls are safe in their runs, all secure, Congrats Alani on your expensive egg, it is always exciting - the first egg.

It is the utter cheek and contempt for humans that this fox displays that means our acquaintance must come to an end.

It suddenly struck me how ridiculous it is for me to attempt to carry a live and feisty animal into the boot of my car and release it on the one of the many miles of common around! - not an answer!

M. thanks for the link to fox dispatchers or controllers, I shall now get on to someone about it. I cannot let any of my girls into the garden until the matter is done with.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:26 am

I think that's very sensible, Val. It's a horrid business, but not one you could safely or reliably take on alone. I was worried about the idea of you trying to transport and release a fox, apart from the time it might have taken to actually catch him, and the fact that there may well be more than one.
Maybe your fox controller could also advise on other protective measures, to help if/when another one moves in?
Do keep us up to date with what happens
PS I don't think the fox is displaying cheek and contempt for you - more likely, appreciation of your generosity for snacks provided!
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:32 am

alani wrote:I got more chickens and have caged them in small run(metal grills all around so they cant burrow) and solid building.
These foxes are casually coming into my garden now,but are not trying to get to the chickens now.They must have given up.
However,I had 5 white doves in shed for past month and decided it was time for them to exercise their wings,I suspect the first one to emerge,was taken by the fox.I have now fenced around the dove exit,so they can leave without attack.
Its a war out there.

By the way,I got my first egg again this morning,its an expensive egg,maybe I should have just settled for Asda free range for a quid?
As they're still coming into your garden, I don't think there's even a chance that they've given up, Alani. They're just biding their time. Sad about the dove, but the rest will be at risk whenever they alight within reach on the grass. It's difficult situation for you. Congrats on being brave enough to get more chickens, and on the first egg, though.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:04 pm

Meanwhile, here's another view of the fox situation.
http://youtu.be/oMykQDJ90kI
valeriebutterley
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by valeriebutterley » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:26 am

Hello M.,
found a man in Farnham who can deal with the problem and at a reasonable cost as well. Found several people who advertise, but their costs were beyond me, frankly.

Hopefully he is coming tomorrow, so maybe the girls can get out and about a bit next week.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:20 am

Well done, Val, I hope that will ease your mind.
Good luck, and keep those Croads safe! And the others, of course.

Return to “Pests & Predators”