Bloody rats!

The place to discuss worms, mites, lice, rodents, wild birds, foxes, badgers, dogs etc.
Marigold

Bloody rats!

Post by Marigold »

Poppy has had a lovely day.
Rats have been tunnelling under the mesh that lines the floor of the run, and when I inspected it more thoroughly today I found they had hollowed out the base of one of the 3”x3” uprights and used this as a way in to make the tunnels - and had also chewed a hole above the mesh itself where it was supposed to be fixed firmly to the post, so they were actually getting in the run. This was all happening behind the back of the coop so not evident from the front.

At this point, two rats ran out of the tunnels and ran up the mesh to the roof, hiding behind the tarpaulins fixed to the sides for wind protection. They were ‘persuaded’ to come down, and Poppy chased and killed them both. It was mayhem for a while, with rats running around trying to hide and Poppy getting very excited.
I spent the rest of the day filling in the cavity in the wooden post, covering it with new mesh, filling the tunnels under the floor mesh by sprinkling gravel into them, and then clearing up and getting the coop back in place so the girls would know where to lay their eggs tomorrow. Exhausting.

Tomorrow I have to do it again because I think the next post along also has chewing problems and will need reinforcing.
Bloody rats!
Attachments
0EF6D901-0B3E-4200-866A-72E2C49E3248.jpeg
0EF6D901-0B3E-4200-866A-72E2C49E3248.jpeg (64.11 KiB) Viewed 838 times
9D69FCDD-75BF-43E3-8D88-6F60D968906B.jpeg
9D69FCDD-75BF-43E3-8D88-6F60D968906B.jpeg (53.65 KiB) Viewed 838 times
dianefairhall
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Re: Bloody rats!

Post by dianefairhall »

Well, good for Poppy! She deservedly looks very pleased with herself. :D
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

That’s after having her face washed!
dianefairhall

Post by dianefairhall »

:D :D
Marigold wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:02 pm
That’s after having her face washed!
:D :D :D
Margaid

Post by Margaid »

I would say Poppy deserves extra treats for that except that she seems to have had a wonderful time chasing the rats! :-)08 It is after all bred into terriers, even breeds as small as Poppy!
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

Especially breeds as small as Poppy. Bred to go down holes after rats, with an independent nature very resistant to recall training!
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie »

Well done Poppy! More efficient than a lazy cat. :-)08 I don't have either, but the OH has a powerful rifle. :D

I can just imagine the effect of shooting rats in the chicken run! Poppy had quite a galvanising effect on the girls when she was chasing and killing the two rats that were dancing around the run. I’m sure I would hit a hen rather than a rat at such close quarters.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

Well done Poppy, :-)08 :-)08 :-)08 Gold stars on your chart, in her eyes she looks as though birthday, Christmas and anything else had come at once.
What a dog :D :D
LadyA

Post by LadyA »

Well done indeed! The cold snap last week brought rats out here too. Usually, I never see them. Now, they were out in the day foraging around. They've also tunnelled under the floor of the run, which has weldmesh under the slabs. My current batch of hens are still laying well although they're over 2 years old now, but before I get the next batch (if, indeed, I get a next batch), I'll have to lift the floor and fill in the tunnels with gravel. I'm kind of tempted to put a concrete floor in. But, we'll see. I'm just not sure it's worth the work to keep hens for myself. Most of the eggs are given away. And I could buy eggs from the mini farm up the road. So, we'll see.
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
dianefairhall

Post by dianefairhall »

We've not seen any rats since we've been here, not even after we got the girls. We did see them at the Yorkshire house, they came for the wild bird food but we often got a 'present' on the doorstep from Freddie, our great black and white hunter. It made a change from rabbits for him. We also give eggs away. We had no idea that all three hens would lay every day but they frequently do and the boxes build up. We can't eat three eggs a day between us but will occasionally have an omelette or frittata night which uses up a few. The cats like an egg beaten in milk too but our neighbours help out. one of them phones first to see if we have any spare, the other one just turns up. Her boyfriend was amazed she didn't have to pay. She is quite useful though as she will take a box of older eggs if she wants to do baking.

Return to “Pests & Predators”