Layers pellets + flubenvet q's

The place to discuss worms, mites, lice, rodents, wild birds, foxes, badgers, dogs etc.
Tweetypie

Re: Layers pellets + flubenvet q's

Post by Tweetypie »

I just wanted to post this update to confirm that my choice of how I worm my hens is working, contrary to snide comments on another forum I have now removed myself from :-)

With thanks to Marigold's original post using something to make the flubonvet powder stick to the feed, I used her idea and made my own by putting a measured amount of the powder in a small piece of tomato, fed over 7 days. :D
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-02-05 at 20.42.55 - Edited.png
Screenshot 2020-02-05 at 20.42.55 - Edited.png (128.06 KiB) Viewed 250 times
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

Brilliant! Well done!
I didn't doubt it would work, just that I'd found it difficult to actually get it to the right hen every time!
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie »

Thanks to you, Marigold. :-)17
rick

Post by rick »

That's interesting Tweetypie. The proof is in the pudding! The idea that in anything wet would stop it working is crazy - OK, so not in their water!. But its good to know that they can be dosed each day on a 'snack' rather than spread through all the food.
With the regular on everything they eat for the week method - My milligram scales are one of the most useful things Ive bought. Were about £10 I think. Can dose pretty much anything by weight so they even get scratch with a little oil to make it stick. Totally unnecessary I know - they could eat the pellets all week and stare at me accusingly from the run but ...
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

The standard method of adding powder to pellets and only feeding pellets for a week is obviously the best way to dose large flocks, especially if they're kept in a barn and only fed pellets anyway. Although I do wonder whether, with their very short 18-month lives, whether it's considered economic or necessary to dose commercial egglayers at all. However, for luckier chickens like ours, reducing the ration to only pellets must constitute a big change in the diet and routine for them, especially if it also involves shutting them off from their usual free ranging, and this could in itself be undesirable. It's good to know that other methods based on individual dosing do indeed work, whether it's powder on bits of tomato or grapes, or a in a really scrummy plateful of teatime treats.

Return to “Pests & Predators”