Man vs. Mouse

The place to discuss worms, mites, lice, rodents, wild birds, foxes, badgers, dogs etc.
rick

Re: Man vs. Mouse

Post by rick » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:03 am

Update, while I'm here and in the flow. Roof liner that was up to spec has finally arrived and, if its not too cold for the adhesive, is going on as soon as possible. Wool insulation below - from black sheep - not cheap but so much more lovely to work with than the glass stuff.
I think the mice have taken a hit in this cold weather and the challenge of getting into the run. Have seen a few out in the daytime gleaning stray bits of scratch over the past few weeks so belts are a bit tight!
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:19 pm

Worst year for mice here too. It’s field mice that come in to escape the winter weather. So I’ve initiated blitzkrieg with traps and sonic deterrents. Also all animal feed is kept in an old freezer which keeps them away from that.
But starlings? In the hen sheds, stealing food and pooing everywhere. I have a kiddies plastic tennis racket in each shed hoping that a few deaths would spread through the grapevine to deter the multitude. Hasn’t worked!
rick

Post by rick » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:23 pm

Starlings are funny. I dont know why they live in quantity in central Brum but I never see any around here. They seem to like places where herring gulls also frequent (but not black headed gulls like we have on the river in droves??) I quite like them in the city - cheeky with speckles! But, so, what do you do Hen-Gen? Im imagining you standing by the door and returning the serve when one whizzes through!

Return to “Pests & Predators”