Fly strike- our first case

The place to discuss worms, mites, lice, rodents, wild birds, foxes, badgers, dogs etc.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Re: Fly strike- our first case

Post by chrismahon » Sat May 26, 2018 1:09 pm

An update, before I return to England for a few days- a week away with all the driving. Ruby isn't making that much progress on account of her digestive problem. The wounds are very slow to heal because she isn't getting food, but her bottom is being washed twice a day to keep it clean and fly free. She has been allowed to wander around the garden in an attempt to get her moving, which is the only chance of shifting a blockage- worked on several others in the past. Seems brighter at the moment and moving better, grubbing about for insects amongst our huge collection of weeds. But she has lost a huge amount of weight and it is going to be touch and go whether she grinds to a halt before her system clears, but at least the temperatures are good now. She shows no interest in proper food but did eat a few sunflower hearts today so I'm hoping for a good news text while I am away.
MrsBiscuit
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by MrsBiscuit » Sat May 26, 2018 5:02 pm

I have been thinking about Ruby, wondering how she was. I am not sure you can do much more. I have to admit to culling when a couple of orps over the years got some sort of blockage/crop problem and they just sort of hung on, being a bit feeble, and not thriving, for ages, despite my tlc.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Sat May 26, 2018 6:45 pm

We have culled too early in the past. Now we have the knowledge we are much more careful to give them a chance. There is a technique to shifting blockage- knowing that they must keep moving and they can go without any food for over two weeks. So very important to make sure they get water constantly- syringe is needed. Ruby is still going but a cold evening and now in the house- she went in on her own. Love chickens but they can be a drain on you. Still hope she pulls through!
bigyetiman
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by bigyetiman » Sat May 26, 2018 8:53 pm

Good luck with her, Chickens are great fun but unfortunately we all have to go through bad times with them.
I have only ever seen a sheep with fly strike, and like you Eris I saw my neighbour pour some stuff on, it was like a nasty horror film as they all came crawling/falling out
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:50 am

Well Ruby is still with us and improving daily. As is usual the digestive impaction cleared when she had lost half her body weight. The scabs have shrunk to less than half their original size and she spends all day wandering about foraging in the garden for bugs rather than eating pellets. She's decided to sleep in the house and has a cage in the bathroom that she puts herself into- the front door is left open. So we now have a house hen, which the dog isn't too pleased about!

Return to “Pests & Predators”