£35 Coop

The place to discuss chicken coops and runs.

Moderators: Marigold, victorias poultry

chickenfan
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Re: £35 Coop

Post by chickenfan » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:29 pm

Great to have found a way to make a practical house at this cost!
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:11 am

If it's intended for chicks, I wondered why you fitted the nest box, Dinosaw?
Would the ventilation be better with an Onduline roof? Then probably you wouldn't need to cut the relatively difficult hole for the vent - (Valerie might not yet have a hole cutter in her prospective toolkit.) Have you got a power saw on your Christmas list, Valerie? I wouldn't fancy tackling a huge sheet of ply by hand.
Totally agree about longevity and usefulness of G.F. coops. i like the way the roof is supported to 'float' above the top edge of the walls all round, for high-level ventilation. I suppose the same effect could be obtained by cutting out 'teeth' along the top edge if the ply sides, to support the roof and let air in through the slots. You could do this by adding one or two blocks of wood but cutting out would be better, to reduce unnecessary joins,
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Post by dinosaw » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:16 am

It is intended for full grown bantams Marigold but at the moment as they are only chicks there is no point putting perches in when they want to huddle together on the floor, I put the nest box in now so that I can use a single piece of ply for the floor, the nest boxes are currently blocked to them. Again it is good that it has got people thinking about design with regards to ventilation, for me it is easy to just drill a large hole at either end and then use a small hand saw to cut a vent (almost all drill bit sets now have a some flat wood bits in them) and I like that it allows me to mesh it against smaller predators, I will be enlarging the vents either side as the chicks grow. If the coop was going to be exposed to the elements then yes I would just use the corrugations on an onduline panel mounted on battens as ventilation instead. If you wanted a continuous long vent a la G.F you wouldn't need blocks, you could just make the front and back of the coop higher than the sides. Your idea about cutting teeth is a good one that I hadn't thought about.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:48 am

We can't use plywood outside here because it warps so badly regardless of quality- it's the humidity relative to inside and outside causing the problem. The other problem is condensation as it doesn't breathe. Our new coop is made without plywood, although I did use an old off cut to divide the nest boxes. Agreed that pretty coops are usually pretty awful to live with- unless you build your own.
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Post by dinosaw » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:51 pm

I think your right that warping can be a problem with ply Chris but then severity is dependent on the size of sheet that you are using as well as climate, the smaller the house the less of a problem it is, it can of course be overcome by using more carcassing though that is adding more timber into the mix. I probably wouldn't use it for a large house, an eight LF house is as big as I have gone or would probably go and for most keepers I think this would probably suffice, once you are getting into higher numbers then buying an off the peg shed and converting it starts to become an economically more attractive option as well as less time consuming. I can't say I have ever had a condensation problem with either ply or plastic but then my coops have always been quite tall relative to the birds with large air vents and of course aubious e tends to draw in quite a bit of moisture too. It was quite difficult to judge how big a vent to put into this one initially as at the moment they are young chicks and I didn't want them to get too cold. Don't forget to post up some pics of your house as I think it is useful to see both ends of the scale in terms of both time and money.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:56 am

I started in England with vents that were 8% of the floor area Dinosaw, so 4% each side with covers so that one side can be closed in cold winds. That seemed to work well and was sufficient in the hottest weather there. For the Dordogne that was increased to 10% and I have now increased them again to 12% for here. Found that 10% needs the pop-hole left open (with a secure mesh door in place). For several weeks we had the side doors open as well at night and used flashing multicoloured Christmas tree lights in the centre of the enclosure to discourage the foxes.

Return to “Chicken Houses, Runs & Equipment”