Garden Life poultry run

The place to discuss chicken coops and runs.

Moderators: Marigold, victorias poultry

chickenfan
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Garden Life poultry run

Post by chickenfan » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:48 pm

Has anyone tried the Gardenlife steel-framed poultry run? It has a weldmesh upgrade and a skirt around the bottom. They are on a special sale at the moment and I'm wondering how safe they are.
Marigold

Re: Garden Life poultry run

Post by Marigold » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:54 pm

Could you post a link please?
chickenfan

Post by chickenfan » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:07 pm

chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:24 pm

Can't get a picture when I call up the link Chickenfan, which is a fault with their site I think. Two problems i have come across with tubular framed runs. First is in cases where the mesh is attached with tie wraps a fox can tear them off. Second is heavy wet snow building up and causing them to collapse. Same happens with any run really, but wide spans are particularly vulnerable and need centre support.
chickenfan

Post by chickenfan » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:57 pm

Thanks Chris. I think it looks too difficult to put up anyway,
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:41 pm

I thought this one looked quite good, actually, especially if you could upgrade to the Weldmesh option. If this was to be my main winter run I would want a tarp roof over it, similar to the kit supplied but over the whole roof, this would be easy to obtain from
Tarpaulins Direct with fixing hooks. It does have quite a good slope on it so maybe it would drain OK. Certainly worth considering at the sale price, and I'm sure you could manage to bolt it together.
BabyBantam

Post by BabyBantam » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:25 pm

This is a good quality and easy to put up tubular frame. The roll of chicken mesh is your standard quality so a fox can chew through it, you would need the weld mesh option. Beware though, they are much bigger than you think once in situ, remember to check height as well as floor space for one and whether you can easily move the coop within it as once the door is on it, you won't be able to take the coop out without lifting it right off the ground.
I bought a 3m sq one on ebay for £210 from garden life, but sadly once in the garden the trees hung too low, so it had to go to a friend.. Not the prettiest, but functional.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:28 pm

Of course if you have a plastic coop which comes to bits you won't have the problem of getting it intact through the door, but that's a good point, B.B. The height is an advantage if it's to sit in an open space as it means you can walk around comfortably inside.
BabyBantam

Post by BabyBantam » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:19 pm

It's about 6"6 in the middle so loads of headroom.
Starting to feel like that green frog is haunting me :)
chickenfan

Post by chickenfan » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:45 pm

Thanks so much for your feedback Marigold and Baby Bantam. How did you find it to put up, Baby Bantam? Garden Life told me c '15 hours' because the weldmesh needs cutting to shape. It also has those nylon ties that Chris thought could be insecure.

Return to “Chicken Houses, Runs & Equipment”