Newbie - electric fencing question

The place to discuss chicken coops and runs.

Moderators: Marigold, victorias poultry

rick
Part of the Flock

Re: Newbie - electric fencing question

Post by rick » Wed May 31, 2017 8:27 pm

Hi barlymo,
What lucky chooks! and lucky you - they will be great to have around.
If you ever wanted to beef up the wire on the run with a second layer (not that it looks like you would need to- especially with an electric fence) the best value heavy gauge weldmesh I found was 'Puppy Wire' from Homebase in 30 metre rolls. Don't remember exactly how much it was but it was cheaper per metre than similar from the farmers supplies in a reasonable size and closer to hand.
Eris
Forum Contributor / Grower

Re: Newbie - electric fencing question

Post by Eris » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:57 pm

Hello,

Personally I like the Hotline fencer units. Basically because you can get spare parts for them if anything goes wrong - which is rare anyway - and you can find people who can repair them. I hate throwing things away if they can be fixed, and most other cheaper fencer units seem not to do spares or repairs.

Another thing is, I do object paying over the odds for things, and a couple of years ago, during my web browsing I was annoyed to discovered that a certain other British make of fence energizer - was on sale a lot cheaper in other counties than it was back here in the UK where it is made. Which I feel is rather a flipping cheek and ripping off the home market. So I avoided that make on principle....(yeah my principles have cost me a lot of dosh over the years!)

Eris

Return to “Chicken Houses, Runs & Equipment”