tips for hot weather?

The place to discuss chicken coops and runs.

Moderators: Marigold, victorias poultry

MrsBiscuit

Re: tips for hot weather?

Post by MrsBiscuit » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:42 am

Might be a good idea for light sleeper humans though, thanks Ellen!
Ellen Barry
Newcomer / Hatchling

Post by Ellen Barry » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:34 pm

IMG_2132 50.jpg
Small Porch coop
IMG_2132 50.jpg (95.26 KiB) Viewed 320 times
chrismahon wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:37 am
Good idea Ellen, but we have lots of coops a way from the nearest electrical point and wiring them up will be difficult. Trouble here is the temperature doesn't drop much after the sun goes down and it has hit 39C several times here this year. We've noticed that the pent roof coops, fitted with mesh pop-hole doors, ventilate naturally with the cold air coming in at the bottom and the hot leaving from the top vent. The apex roof coops however get heat building up inside the roof which can't escape because the vents are too low. We intend to add vents at the top of the apex and also fit a secure inner mesh access door to one end- opposite to the perch. We have no Orpingtons now, so overheating isn't the huge problem it was.

You may be perhaps be better fitting two fans, so one pushes air in at one end and the other pulls air out at the other?
The 2 fans is a good idea. That will be great for my larger coop. The small fan is for my small coop on the porch. The fan will blow air over a small bowl on the wall with ice cubes. Automatic air conditioning, heeehee. And I'm fortunate to have 6 double outlets around the house. In the dead of winter or summer, all I need is a 50 ft heavy duty extension cord to reach my furthest coop. I think I'll combine the cooling / heating fans with the mesh hole covered pop-hole doors close to the roof. Thanks for the extra ideas.
rick

Post by rick » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:05 pm

Like you Ellen, I am lucky enough for it to be easy enough to run power to the run. Mine roost in the middle of the run in the sheltered open so getting hot is not so much of a problem as cold drafts in the winter when I have a white tarpaulin to cover the sides. I've got a small USB fan in there just to move the air around a bit when its very hot and still but its given up working. I've also got a little 60W storage rad on a thermostat to take the edge off the air if it gets below -2 C (but then mine are not in a coop so I can get away with a bit of powered heating when its very cold in the relatively large space)
Ellen Barry
Newcomer / Hatchling

Post by Ellen Barry » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:38 pm

After installing a mini fan in the small coop yesterday, I decided they could do with additional cold. I put a large bowl (with lid) with Ice from the freezer in the coop. They all went into the coop almost immediately afterwards. I believe they loved it. I couldn't hang it right under the fan. But normally, it would be nice to have the fan run right over it to "spread" the cold. When it's unbearably hot here for my horses, that's what I do in the barn. Hanging ice holder under the fan, small hole in the bottom to evacuate the water and a bending straw in that hole to bring the water outside the coop.

Return to “Chicken Houses, Runs & Equipment”