Red Mite in Green Frog - Update/Perch Alert

The place to discuss chicken coops and runs.

Moderators: Marigold, victorias poultry

Chuck
Part of the Flock

Re: Red Mite in Green Frog - Update/Perch Alert

Post by Chuck »

The hollow perches are a serious design fault which should have been anticipated. Good to bring it up so people are aware and can deal with it
If you are willing to go that extra mile for your poultry - make sure you're going in the right direction !
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon »

Our hens often wander into the coop during the morning, while they are confined to their run and dig around in the bedding eating any red mite they find. We couldn't put any ant powder down as they could eat it, or the mite that have been through it.
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Post by dinosaw »

Permethrin has a low toxicity profile with regards to mammals Chris, unless your a cat that is!, however I take your point, personally however I find it pereferable to diatom which can cause silicosis, particularly hazardous if you are as slapdash as I am, if I had a pound for the number of times I find myself with a dust mask hanging round my neck rather than covering my mouth, well I'd have a few hundred pounds at least.
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Post by dinosaw »

Well despite what I said I have contacted Green Frog today about the risk from the perches and they came back very promptly to me with this reponse.

'Thanks for letting us know - it is very frustrating that the perches are manufactured with the gap in the end. Apparently, this is unavoidable, though the size does vary considerably from batch to batch.

We will put a note in our user guides to advise our customers and we will take a serious look at sealing them here in the factory. Rather than vaseline, I would recommend a dab of exterior grade silicone sealant as it should last much longer.'

It is a fairly easy fix for existing customers so I suppose the important thing is getting the information out there and making people aware, if they can seal the perches going forward then all the better.
karminski
Part of the Flock

Post by karminski »

at least they gave a good response most things wont even get looked at :D :D well its gone mild for a few days and i was expecting to find some mites this afternoon and i didnt find one wander if that has anything to do with the ant powder :-)05
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Post by dinosaw »

Could be, or it could be the mite killing powers of your nephew!! :)
Chuck
Part of the Flock

Post by Chuck »

Good of you to let the manufacturers know and in return, a good response from them.
If you are willing to go that extra mile for your poultry - make sure you're going in the right direction !
karminski
Part of the Flock

Post by karminski »

i like it dinosaw :lol: :lol:

Return to “Chicken Houses, Runs & Equipment”