Condensation in coops.

The place to discuss chicken coops and runs.

Moderators: Marigold, victorias poultry

Marigold

Re: Condensation in coops.

Post by Marigold » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:59 pm

I had a look in my Green Frog today when cleaning out and I think you could just continue the vents by making a couple more each side in line with the existing ones, which on;ly come halfway along. Maybe just cut quite large holes and fix mesh over them permanently, bolting it through the plastic to hold it in place?
I think your remark about trying to ensure the temperature outside is the same as inside the coop hits the nail on the head when avoiding condensation, and points up the main reason for damp coops, ie the birds are being kept too warm inside, with too little ventilation. I also think a bit of condensation on the roof does them no harm if they have plenty of air as well - after all, roosting on a branch isn't exactly very dry is it?
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:10 pm

And here was me Marigold, in the depths of last Winter, with the birdies huddled up and freezing cold, thinking of some way to give them central heating without electricity. I concluded, although feasible, it was not without risk of a 'thermal incident' as they called them when I was an Engineer -'fire' to us. A wooden coop is at a bit of a risk, so my gravity circulation paraffin fueled central heating system was abandoned before I had even built the prototype.
Last edited by chrismahon on Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karminski
Part of the Flock

Post by karminski » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:19 pm

my girls are going on aubriose the weekend my horse feed suppliers sticks it :D :D and they deliever to us :) if its that good then i will put the horses on it in the spring .
pennyblack chooks
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by pennyblack chooks » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:12 pm

That's a good idea Marigold - will have a look and see how to make more ventilation on the sides/ back without risking the chooks' safety and keeping the weatherproof-ness of the coop intact.

And I suspect you are right about any small amount of condensation not being a problem if there is enough ventilation in the coop. We live in an old place here with lots of draughts and no central heating. The woodburner draws fresh air through the drafts in windows and under doors so unless we create a lot of steam we don't get condensation....and if we do create lots of steam it doesn't last long with the constant exchange of air.

I think chrismahon may be trying to wind you up on this one :shock: :shock:

pennyblackchooks
pennyblackchooks
....chooks with attitude - Maggie, Fliss, Belle, Pheobe, Fanny Ann, Tilly, Edna and their husband Herb
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:36 pm

I kid you not Pennyblackchooks. Afraid once a Design Engineer always one. Technical problems are there to be solved, not avoided. Of course being a plumber as well has added a new dimension to my thought processes, hence the coop central heating. Reality is, as Marigold has demonstrated, chickens don't need it, they just need to be dry and ventillated -except Leghorns, they get frostbite of the comb very easily. Could solve that with a wooly hat perhaps with little spike shapes in it?
karminski
Part of the Flock

Post by karminski » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:19 pm

this aubiose bedding has to be wetted when you first use it for horses but does it have to be wetted for first time use in the chicken coops as well ???
pennyblack chooks

Post by pennyblack chooks » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:12 pm

chrismahon wrote: Reality is, as Marigold has demonstrated, chickens don't need it, they just need to be dry and ventillated -except Leghorns, they get frostbite of the comb very easily. Could solve that with a wooly hat perhaps with little spike shapes in it?
:lol: well mr design engineer - get knitting!

pennyblackchooks
pennyblackchooks
....chooks with attitude - Maggie, Fliss, Belle, Pheobe, Fanny Ann, Tilly, Edna and their husband Herb
pennyblack chooks

Post by pennyblack chooks » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:20 pm

karminski wrote:this aubiose bedding has to be wetted when you first use it for horses but does it have to be wetted for first time use in the chicken coops as well ???
Not sure karminski. I have it sprinkled in handfuls on the floor of my coop on a sheet of plastic sheeting and am poo picking each day (only an 8-10 bird coop so not big)and just chucking in a couple more good handfuls each day to top up. All bone dry. After a week I'll change the whole lot though that will depend on how damp the underlayer is. At the moment I can see easily where the wet bits/poops are and just pick those out by hand. So whatever is left is still dry.

I guess it might depend on a) how deep it is b) how many chickens will be on it and c) how much poo will collect in it d)how much poo picking you can do :-)09 :-)09

Your set up could well be different to mine so not sure what I am doing will suit you and your hens.....

pennyblackchooks
pennyblackchooks
foxy
Part of the Flock

Post by foxy » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:28 pm

karminski wrote:this aubiose bedding has to be wetted when you first use it for horses but does it have to be wetted for first time use in the chicken coops as well ???
No you don't need to wet it for chooks. I use Aubiose, it is lovely and soft as well as being absorbent :-)17
Chuck
Part of the Flock

Post by Chuck » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:19 am

Finally, people seem to be taking on board the fact that chickens don't need to be kept warm. They do that for themselves. In fact they keep us warm in duvets ! Also Leghorns are only slightly more prone to comb damage by frost and this applies to any breed with large combs, Andalusians for example. This should not be used as a reason for treating them any differently or their natural hardiness will be lost. Males of other breeds are more susceptible than their female counterparts due to the size of their combs.
If you are willing to go that extra mile for your poultry - make sure you're going in the right direction !

Return to “Chicken Houses, Runs & Equipment”