Condensation in coops.

The place to discuss chicken coops and runs.

Moderators: Marigold, victorias poultry

karminski
Part of the Flock

Re: Condensation in coops.

Post by karminski » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:43 pm

thats sorted then no need to add any more vents :lol: see its always worth checking isnt it .
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:47 pm

Well there's a really bitter wind blowing across the Orchard and I noticed big Arnold and his girls had been huddled into a tiny corner of the coop all night. No condensation in that wooden coop even though the vent at one end has been covered with perspex -but it does have aubiose as bedding and there is a good 6" air gap under the floor which keeps it dry inside. Went in to clean them out and the cold air draught at ground level cut like a knife. With the drop in humidity the gap around the hinged pop-hole door has opened up to over half an inch, which explains why they were huddled in a corner. Three bits of wood and a few nails, job done. Nice and cosy now, so I will ask them if they can spare a few eggs by way of thanks then.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:14 pm

Yes the wind was really cold today and tomorrow I expect the drinker will be frozen, so I've taken pity on them and actually shut the pophole (!!) since I shall have to go down to them first thing to bring liquid water.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:16 am

Big Arnold and his girls were warm last night -too warm possibly as it was decidedly hot and humid in there. Think the end vent needs uncovering a bit but I will leave it a while as Aubiose seems to be preventing any condensation.
The babies were another matter (baby Wyandottes only 18 months) as their perch was absolutely soaking. Ventillation is not so good as it is a fixed coop with windows (converted shed) so when the bedding gets wet it stays wet. The perch (shelf really takes 6) is ply and the wet is trapped on the surface. I removed all the soggy wood shavings and replaced with Aubiose.
I intended to stop using Aubiose and go to shavings because of cost. I've abandoned that idea over Winter and will now use Aubiose and save shavings for Summer.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:23 am

chrismahon wrote:The babies were another matter (baby Wyandottes only 18 months) as their perch was absolutely soaking. .
Was this s slip of the finger for 18 weeks, Chris?
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:10 pm

No Marigold, but they are still 'the babies' to us as they are the youngest group of chickens. Oldest of our hens will be 5 in May. Not forgetting tiny baby Boris the Brown Leghorn Bantam cockerel, who is only 7 or 8 months and not so tiny now. He gets so upset if I pick up Snowdrop -starts offering tempters.

The babies are the only ones consistantly laying. 2 eggs per day from 6. We average 3 from 34 at the moment.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:52 pm

chrismahon wrote:. We average 3 from 34 at the moment.
So my one daily egg from my Silver Star out of 4 hens isn't as bad as I thought, then!
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:22 am

Well it's a good job I didn't open up the ventillation on big Arnold's coop. The rain last night was nearly horizontal and his coop would be full of water this morning otherwise. The two big coops have a small overhang on the roof which protects the vents from rain water 99% of the time, but that would not have been enough last night. Fortunately the windward side vents were closed and being external, no water got in.

The new coop is in our car port being assembled. Just one end door to be fitted. Unfortunately the rain went into the carport and in through the doorway, so a lot of mopping-out to do before I fit it.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:10 am

I checked the new coop for condensation this morning as it was a worst case scenario. Very damp (95% humidity), wet chickens, vents fully closed overnight. Sure enough we had condensation on the gloss painted roof, none on the walls. Quick wipe and it was gone. So it proves gloss interior paint is waterproof but not microporous. I have used microporous white gloss outside the house but it goes yellow very quickly inside. Perhaps I will try that on the next coop anyway. It also proves that 50:50 creosote and Paraffin mix applied inside doesn't entirely seal the timber, which is good.
tygrysek75
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by tygrysek75 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:41 am

I have no codensation inside cop but humidity is very high-gues last cold &rain making things worst.Should I worry about humidity inside?
The older I get the older old is.

Return to “Chicken Houses, Runs & Equipment”