Building a new run

The place to discuss chicken coops and runs.

Moderators: Marigold, victorias poultry

chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Re: Building a new run

Post by chrismahon » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:40 pm

You need to fit a Bumpa Bit from Omlet. I've taken some photos to explain all about them, because Omlet are useless, but haven't had time to post. It's probably the only thing that will work now. We were faced with this and had to cull 4 top quality Wyandotte hens, simply because after 3 months in isolation they still went for it immediately they got the chance. You need some 'external' circlip pliars as well to fit them. Our mad Molly Legbar has one fitted and is perfectly normal (laying well) except she has stopped pecking the others.
Castara
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by Castara » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:53 pm

Any thoughts on 'Stockholm Tar' ???
Castara

Post by Castara » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:54 pm

chrismahon wrote:You need to fit a Bumpa Bit from Omlet. I've taken some photos to explain all about them, because Omlet are useless, but haven't had time to post. It's probably the only thing that will work now. We were faced with this and had to cull 4 top quality Wyandotte hens, simply because after 3 months in isolation they still went for it immediately they got the chance. You need some 'external' circlip pliars as well to fit them. Our mad Molly Legbar has one fitted and is perfectly normal (laying well) except she has stopped pecking the others.
Hmmmm , I've never been a fan of Face piercing , But its going on the final resort list, cheers for the Tip
Castara

Post by Castara » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:56 pm

kegs wrote:Gentian purple violet which is an antiseptic as well as being bright purple so it will disguise the red cut which chickens are attracted to. Keeping the White star apart from the other two might help and it is a good idea to take the bully rather than taking the one being bullied. If you can keep the apart for a couple of days it may calm the situation down.
I couldn't find any quick, so we've been using detol spray for open wounds ?? The bully is now in 'The Gulag'
foxy
Part of the Flock

Post by foxy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:00 am

Bumpa bits are just soft rings, they do not pierce the nostril if you are worried Castara, they are very effective however at preventing/ helping to break the pecking habit. Personally I do not think any spray deterrent at this stage will do much good, as it sounds like quite a bad habit has developed and would be concerned at this point that blood has been drawn. The wounds need to be treated with a gentle antiseptic cream, something like sudacreme or germoline and allowed to heal.

Regarding the Stockholm tar, you will end up with far on you than actually on the bird...but it will in the process be incredibly entertaining for your chickens, I suppose a distraction for them....

What sort of environment did they come from originally Castara, and were they together at that point?
Castara

Post by Castara » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:03 pm

They were all bought at the same Place Widgets Farm in Reading , Nice little place , clean and spacious , Friendly Staff and helpful owner .
The 2 Hybrids , where in 1 run, away from the Copper black , who was over in a pen in the pure breeds area. The Lady who owned the placed explaned that a lot of sellers including herself do not breed the hybrids , something to do with licencing and such , A subject for another forum , cause it seemed to me we even by chickens from Europe :-)09 Sigh ! Any way She buys a 1000 chicks from France ,Germany,Holland, and imports them to a Poultry farm (egg producer, makin a bit on the side) who raises them , then at the right age she gets them delivered and I think they go out pretty quick , about a week and shes running out :-)07 , Where as the Copper blacks , I'm not sure ? I know she breeds Pure breeds her self The Copper blacks included , The White Star (villian) looked the most developed followed by the Colombian, both laid first. The Copper black was much younger ( no Comb) and shes only just started to lay "One a day since the white stars away" :-)19
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:45 pm

That's the other problem Castara. If a hen is stressed she won't lay. We had three we were 'looking after' in a run with three of ours. Our friends hens were nasty and used to bully ours. The day after they left all ours started laying and continued happily thereafter. Must have cost us a lot due to lost egg sales!
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:29 pm

So, although they came from the same place, they had never met before coming to you as they were in different pens. Also the hybrids had the extra stress of a move to widgets from the grower, and then another move to you. Additionally, White Stars are known for being a bit flighty and independent-minded, so it's not surprising she is having settling in problems. I would give the beak bits a go, lots of people have found they are effective and humane, and if she wears one for a while, she will be growing up herself and may well settle down as she matures. Better than messing them up with nasty gunge that doesn't seem to be working anyway.
Castara

Post by Castara » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:28 pm

It funny originally the whit star and the Colombian were best mates and the copper black the outsider , then something changed ? Now its the copper black and the colombian ??? Fickle chickens? I'm hearing alot about the bumper bits but I just dont get how the beak bits dont impair her eating , can she still crack a snail shell? or a sunflower seed or rip grass? I have to say I'm considering it though , as I dont think this isolation for the White Star can be too good , And I'm sure there still talking across the garden ,
Castara

Post by Castara » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:36 pm

Ok . Heres my plan, I'm gonna keep the white star in the cooler for a while , till the other 2 heal up. We're applying sudo cream every couple a days.
Hopefully the feathers will grow back soon??? Any thoughts???
Then I think will go for the Stockholm Tar option for a bit , And reintroduce the White Star at night , I'm going to order some beak bumpers just in case.
Oh And I did let the kid out :lol:
Attachments
APDC1586 (640x480).jpg
The cooler
APDC1586 (640x480).jpg (117.44 KiB) Viewed 10682 times
APDC1587 (640x480).jpg
The Prison Block
APDC1587 (640x480).jpg (124.06 KiB) Viewed 10682 times

Return to “Chicken Houses, Runs & Equipment”