Building a new run

The place to discuss chicken coops and runs.

Moderators: Marigold, victorias poultry

Castara
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Re: Building a new run

Post by Castara » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:14 pm

Sounds good n simple, Thanks Marigold
Castara

Post by Castara » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:45 pm

APDC1297 (600x450).jpg
APDC1297 (600x450).jpg (49.74 KiB) Viewed 4642 times
Havent seen a White Egg in a long time ;)
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:00 pm

They went out of fashion Castara when rumours spread that white eggs had thin shells, if my childhood memory serves me correctly. Complete rubbish obviously! The diet, not the colour, makes for thin shells. Our leghorn eggs are white, so that one must be from your white star.
Castara

Post by Castara » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:30 pm

Used to get um back in the states , 00 size and double youlkers
Castara

Post by Castara » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:31 pm

I say, I say I say , I might have to get a Leghorn , just for the memories of old
Fog horn
Castara

Post by Castara » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:22 pm

APDC1302 (600x450).jpg
APDC1302 (600x450).jpg (70.92 KiB) Viewed 4633 times
I think it was Professor Carl Jung , who first coined the phrase 'Synchronicity' . How bout that then 'A DOUBLE YOLKER" :-)17 come on Barbarella :-)08
foxy
Part of the Flock

Post by foxy » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:58 am

mmmmmmm fried eggs...and it's sunday morning might have to join you castara..do you have any bacon? :D
Castara

Post by Castara » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:43 pm

Well so much for the peaceful coop :shock: , It a War zone, The white star has really been throwing her weight around, first the Copper black got it , At first just a 'Move outta my way 'peck but this escalated to some nasty feather pulling and general harassment. Then today got home, and seems shes turned on the Colombian, Real bad , some blood . Lotta feathers gone ,Looks awful :shock: , I saw her having a real go at the Colombian and no stopping, so under instruction from the lady at wigits farm were we got um .I've isolated her for tonight in a box in the shed . And tomorrow will convert the kids wendy house to a temporary Jail for the white star, While the other two recover , funny, they perked up as soon as she was gone, the copper black , which up to now has been extremely quiet and withdrawn and was defiantly bottom of the peckin order was marching around , digging holes , ate some scratch from my hands , and when the Columbian gave her back a little peck she turned round and gave a quick double jab to the head , so I'm not sure whats gone on today while i was away but its all goin off in the coop, I dont no whos in charge :? ,
I'm supposed to go on my first holiday for 2 years on friday and me son ( the chicken sitter) has let me down :-)09 , so I'm gonna try this chicken hotel :oops: me mate uses , Yeah I know , Got no choice , I need a break :-)07 So thats 3 nights in the cooler for the whit star then they all go to the chicken hotel , we shall see what happens :? , I'm gonna try to find some 'Scarper' anti pecking spray tomorrow on recommendation from wiggits,from a shop if I can find one local to north London Enfield -ish or I'll have to order some online , apparently works on pigs too , she told me they've found it the most effective of the brands ? Any thoughts my wise chicken friends ?
Castara

Post by Castara » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:39 pm

Well back from Hols . Oh dear, the pecking issue has got bad ! Real bad :shock: The white star , has really dug a chunk out of the Colombian, Nasty wound , some flesh has been lost , weve taken emergency measures, the white star's back in the clink, and applied some sudo cream to the coulmbian and the copper black , Help , !!! Any one :(
kegs
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by kegs » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:30 pm

Gentian purple violet which is an antiseptic as well as being bright purple so it will disguise the red cut which chickens are attracted to. Keeping the White star apart from the other two might help and it is a good idea to take the bully rather than taking the one being bullied. If you can keep the apart for a couple of days it may calm the situation down.

Return to “Chicken Houses, Runs & Equipment”