roofing a large run

The place to discuss chicken coops and runs.

Moderators: Marigold, victorias poultry

dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Re: roofing a large run

Post by dinosaw » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:57 pm

If it keeps your coops dry then thats all that matters :-)17
karminski
Part of the Flock

Post by karminski » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:10 pm

you can get them from anywhere homebase , argos pretty much any garden centre and they range from £100 - £150 , all i have done is put roosting bars in which is normally right in the middle going length ways about 1 foot up and drilled vent holes in at the top during the summer when its hot the roofs can be wedged open to pretty much any height you feel comfortable with as long as you know your run is rat proof of course so far i havent had any prob , the rain seems to go down the back of the houses to the base and just gets in which was really driving me crazy which is why i was wanting to roof my run or do something , i did manage to do this myself with the help of my 7 yr old nephrew but later that day a older guy came over and he'll always help me and we did it better but its already been tested and it works really well now it can rain as much as it likes as i now know my girls will be able to go indoors and not get wet and damp plus side is red mites cant live in there :D . i have been told that they can have a prob with condensation during the winter but i only have 3 or 4 birds per house so i am hoping it wont be a prob and if they do become to cold then i can place cardboard on the inside if need be .
karminski
Part of the Flock

Post by karminski » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:12 pm

forgot to add marigold thanks for the link now i can post piccies of my girls and my poss cockeral who may have to go to cicky heaven if i cant find him home well thats only if he crows though i tell him every morning not to :lol:

Return to “Chicken Houses, Runs & Equipment”