Bedding query

The place to discuss chicken coops and runs.

Moderators: Marigold, victorias poultry

Sue
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Re: Bedding query

Post by Sue »

Thanks everyone for your reply, I think it's off to buy some shavings! Anyone in the Exeter area who wants a free bag of Aubiose (unopened) let me know.
In life not everyone follows the same road. Especially if their Sat Nav is broken!
Earthly

Post by Earthly »

We wouldn't recommend any of the hemp based beddings for Poultry. Apart from the problems already mentioned they seem to attract rats like a magnet.

We tend to use Bedmax for the big houses, Littlemax for the nest boxes and Ecobed for the small houses.

As we sell all three we have the luxury of choice!

If you can buy locally you will get a better price, but if you're stuck or a long way from the shops, we do deliver. Advert on the main site, near the bottom of the keeping chickens page.
Casey76

Post by Casey76 »

Earthly wrote:We wouldn't recommend any of the hemp based beddings for Poultry. Apart from the problems already mentioned they seem to attract rats like a magnet.
Really? I've been using auboise for about a year now, and I've never had any vermin problems. I also know a lot of people who you auboise, or other hemp based products for their stables, and have done for five or six years, and haven't heard anything of increases in rats or mice.

I do find that some brands of aubiose are more dusty than others, but even dust extracted shavings get dusty when the hens tramp around on them ;)

I use auboise in my nest boxes too, but put a little straw on top, as auboise by itself doesn't make good nests :)
Shitzu
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by Shitzu »

I use the deep litter method, I just use hay/straw, it works great, I never have any issues with smell. I was out there the other day, the bottom was a little wet (it had just rained really hard for 3 days) and I haven't emptied it for 3-4 months. Now that it is nice out, I will be composting the bedding, doing a good cleaning and starting again.

I like the christmas tree idea, but if you grab a bunch of trees after xmas, they will dry out in a month or so won't they? Then they wouldn't be good for bedding?

Here is a resource I stumbled upon: https://barncoop.com/best-bedding-for-chicken-coop/
valeriebutterley

Post by valeriebutterley »

I have been using Aubiose for years, for nests and flooring.
My girls have never complained, I think they are very happy hens, so much so I'm getting egg bound!

Return to “Chicken Houses, Runs & Equipment”