Newbie - Chicken coop and run advice please?!

The place to discuss chicken coops and runs.

Moderators: Marigold, victorias poultry

Margaid

Re: Newbie - Chicken coop and run advice please?!

Post by Margaid »

It also means you can use a smaller mesh size. if I remember from looking at the big run you posted the squares were 20mm which certainly won't keep mice out but not sure about rats.
Icemaiden

Post by Icemaiden »

I've only just seen this thread, but it sounds as though Marigold has got you on the right track!!
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
Margaid

Post by Margaid »

Icemaiden wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:25 pm
I've only just seen this thread, but it sounds as though Marigold has got you on the right track!!
Marigold usually does get people on the right track! :-)08
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

Margaid wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:21 pm
Icemaiden wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:25 pm
Marigold usually does get people on the right track! :-)08
Thank you for the quite undeserved votes of confidence, but I should point out that anything useful I think I know has been gleaned at the cost of the many mistakes I’ve made in the past, and go on making! One if the many interesting things about keeping poultry is that there may be sensible guidelines, but everyone has their own way of interpreting them in the light of their own circumstances and needs. Like bringing up children really. We are so lucky on here to have such a lot of experienced people who know very much more than I do and who have helped me many times when I’ve had a problem to discuss.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

Good choice of coop, Marigold is our forum queen when it comes to good advice.
We all make mistakes when starting out, it part of life's rich pattern, and the wonderful world of keeping hens, luckily we have the forum and lots of helpful useful advice in the various sections.
Just wait until you get "morehens" disease and start expanding :D :D :D
Icemaiden

Post by Icemaiden »

The biggest mistake that this forum stopped me from making was feeding my hens to the foxes...

I was starting out with ex-batts & naively thought that they'd rather have their coop in the garden but not in the confines of a run. Happily someone on this forum (sorry, I can't remember who) warned me that I'd be rescuing ex-batts just to let them die terrified in the jaws of a fox.

We built a walk-in run around the coop & greenhouse which has kept foxes out for the last decade or so, with design advice from this forum too.
PageMossFarm
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by PageMossFarm »

Thanks for the replies everyone! I need to set up my notifications as I did not see them come through lol
1 more question, I was going to site the run in the corner of my garden but both the back and side fences are covered in ivy... I have read that ivy is toxic to chickens so should I move it away from them?
Thanks!
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

Hi Gareth. If you’re logged in, when you arrive you will see a little red square next to the bell icon on the top line if there are any new posts to read. You can then click on the 3-line bar to the left of the Home button on the top line and you get the option to go to Unread Posts. Click on the one you want to read and then when it comes up, click on First Unread Post. Also option for New Posts if you’ve read a post, left the page, and want to get back.

I wouldn’t worry about the ivy. Yes it is technically poisonous but like lots of other poisonous plants the hens won’t touch it- except maybe to enjoy finding insects etc. in the ivy. They’re not that daft!
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

Ours love scrabbling about in an ivy covered patch under some shrubs, a rich vein of insects under there. They have never even nibbled a leaf. So you should be fine. Animals seem to know what not to touch, unless its for human consumption then it's every hen for herself at the all day buffet :lol: :lol:
Icemaiden

Post by Icemaiden »

:lol:

Return to “Chicken Houses, Runs & Equipment”