A new house

The place to discuss chicken coops and runs.

Moderators: Marigold, victorias poultry

rick

Re: A new house

Post by rick » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:15 am

To pass through they would want to put their foot on the bottom edge - they just don't do wriggling through and standing up afterwards like a mammal might. But, yes, they could be dragged through a 4" hole by something smaller than a fox.
Its close - 5" and there would be easily enough room to go through while keeping their feet under them.
Im sure there are examples of a fox grabbing a chicken by sticking its head through a 4" hole and dragging it out - like roosting right next to the fence. Mine would wriggle through a 2-3" vertical gap in a fence but at ground level and with enough height to go through standing.
Last edited by rick on Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:27 am

I think a fox would have no problem chewing through wooden trellis enough to enlarge the hole and get inside. Let's hope you're right about the fact that there are no foxes in the area. I'm sure it will keep the hens in OK, so long as you don't start keeping bantams! At any rate, the garden will be good this summer.
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:11 pm

It hasn't been an eventful day as we had showers this afternoon, so we were unable to treat the fence posts with the same colour as the panels. The trellis panels are heavy duty, not like normal plant trellis, but i guess if something wanted to bite through it and get loads of splinters, then it could :D It would need to be one desperately starving fox!
I want to put kickboards around the bottom of the fencing, too. It stops the soil being kicked everywhere.
I'm looking for some railway sleepers to make the dustbath area so they can kick around without it going everywhere. Might have to comprise with fence posts screwed together.
The coop stands on a large slabbed area, there's also shelter underneath the coop, with a perch.
I've had them a year next month and touch wood - they have been safe - even when free ranging on the garden. I feel better knowing that they are fully secure now and no more escapees destroying my flower beds
rick

Post by rick » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:27 pm

Kick boards are a great idea! Put them on the inside to minimise the amount of bedding that gets trapped in the complicated spaces round the bottom of the fence.
I know it sounds like banging the gong of doom - but foxes just turn up out of the blue when they are particularly desperate or move into a new territory for some reason (in our case after 3 years.) As long as it isn't a walk right in situation, though, and you keep an eye out for signs of braking in or odd panicked chattering of hens in the night, then something to chew through that takes longer than a few minuets or goes should give you forewarning.
If you want to feel really safe at any point (like after an attempt) then puppy wire fencing is very good.
Its great to have a new run!
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:28 pm

I'm not ignoring the doom, Rick, I had the extra tall fencing so I can rest easy. They cannot scale 6 foot 3 (minimum) up to 8 foot. The trellis is 1 inch thick, like a fence panel, but I had squares so they can see out. Next door has some juicy ducks, easy pickings ;-) and top of the hill has ducks, geese, sheep, goats... I have not heard of any foxes, do you think it is because there are plenty of cats around here?

Anyway, the girls are back and I have many photo's of the new Cluckingham Palace. They were straight into the make-do dustbath. I'll have to buy railway sleepers at some point for the sides. It will be a bigger area when I have the proper stuff. Mesh is over the soil, stop them digging it all up. It's better than it was, can never be perfect, but a far cry from the place they came from. :-)17

The FIRST pic is the "before" set up

VIDEO PRESS HERE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGM8b5eVNIU
Attachments
runandcoop2 - Edited (1).jpg
runandcoop2 - Edited (1).jpg (133.32 KiB) Viewed 898 times
CluckinghamPalaceWall.jpg
CluckinghamPalaceWall.jpg (131.56 KiB) Viewed 898 times
CluckinghamPalaceAPRIL19.jpg
CluckinghamPalaceAPRIL19.jpg (115.83 KiB) Viewed 898 times
Dustbath2019.jpg
Dustbath2019.jpg (87.89 KiB) Viewed 898 times
rick

Post by rick » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:21 pm

Woah!!!
I like the rustic logs. It all gets kicked out whatever!
Took a picture of Bonnie and Linden in the bath the other day - its a bit more 'bijou' than yours, well it is with Bonnie in it.
IMG_20190406_125651.jpeg
IMG_20190406_125651.jpeg (97.27 KiB) Viewed 882 times
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:24 pm

Your dustbath looks so much tidier than mine. 😁 yep, mine just live kicking soil everywhere, that's why I want a deeper dustbath. I reckon I've got the 4 worst dust kickers in town. They're forever kicking, scratching or looking around for escape routes. Funny birds. Ps I love your plant pots. 😉
rick

Post by rick » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:03 pm

I bought a scaffold board recently and considering the amount of plank in it it was pretty cheap (£15 for 5.2m or something like that.) It could be set into a square shallow hole as a box with half of its width above ground. Just a thought. Its always surprising how much it takes to make a box though - 5.2m would only make a 1.3m ish box.
Thanks. We have to resort to tall pots in our garden because they are just above the height that the dog pees!
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:01 am

Scaffolding boards are a great idea and also good for making raised beds for plants. I'll suggest that to OH today, that will need to keep him busy ;-)

Return to “Chicken Houses, Runs & Equipment”