Dust bath

The place to discuss chicken coops and runs.

Moderators: Marigold, victorias poultry

poachedegg
Forum Contributor / Grower

Dust bath

Post by poachedegg » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:18 pm

Don't know if anyone is interested but Homebase is selling a 160l plastic trunk with a lid for £30 at the moment, it's huge.
I'm going to cut a hole in it and let the girls use for a dust bath. It's made by Really Useful Boxes.
LadyA

Re: Dust bath

Post by LadyA » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:31 pm

Something like that could be useful if restrictions come in again over Winter, as they probably will. At the moment, my five hens have made their own dustbaths! In fact, I'm convinced they are digging escape tunnels!
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
rick

Re: Dust bath

Post by rick » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:56 pm

I got a cement mixing trough from Homebase a couple of years ago but they don't have them on the shelves lately. The builders merchant would probably have something similar. It eventual cracked when trying to drag it out full to refresh.
This weekend I have dug a sump in the floor of run, through the block paving, and lined the sides with brick. Its going to be their new dust bath but also will serve as a well to jet wash into and pump out. Our run needs a good blast out and that hasn't been possible before as there has been nowhere lower than the floor to collect the water to drain.
I was going to dig it about a foot deep but hit a level pan of concrete. An old path under what was a lawn in the 50's maybe? So it turned out to be 8 inch deep but at least I didn't have to make a base! Will be kept a little moist and cool though as it's in contact with the ground below.

Return to “Chicken Houses, Runs & Equipment”