How do i prepare my pullets/cockerals for show?

The place to discuss Shows and Showing Chickens

Moderators: victorias poultry, Marigold

How do i prepare my pullets/cockerals for show?

Postby Cumbrian lad » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:08 pm

Firstly if this has been raised as a topic before then i apologise. I would like some advice on preparing for a show, any information on cage training, washing of the bird and perhaps a change of diet. Thanks in advance.
Cumbrian lad
Forum Contributor / Grower

Re: How do i prepare my pullets/cockerals for show?

Postby corbu » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:42 am

What breed you want to exhibit?
Is important because different breeds needs different primings. Your breed have tuft, leg feathers, beard etc.?
I ask because, for example, a Plymouth Rock rooster/hen is easy to prepare for show comparative to a Faverolles rooster/hen.
corbu

Postby Cumbrian lad » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:20 pm

Fair point Corbu, and thanks for your reply. I breed furnace OEG and Partridge Wyandottes. Have a cracking furnace cockeral bred this year entered into a show 3 weeks away.
Cumbrian lad

Postby Lordcluck » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:26 am

OEG often need minimal prep for showing, a wash a good few days before the show if necessary, to allow time for feathers to web out and the bird to re-establish it's natural plumage oils, clean the legs, dirt from out under scales,head cleaned, with a little baby oil applied to freshen it, beak and nail trim if needed and that's it.Hard, glassy feathered birds like OEG, are often best left unwashed as long as they are clean and parasite free. A quick rub over with a silk cloth is often all that is required.
The Partridge Wyandotte, being a soft feather bird, may need more thorough washing, and careful drying.Similar treatment for legs, head, beak and nails as the OEG.
Lordcluck
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Postby Marigold » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:31 am

Have you read Exhibition Poultry Keeping by David Scrivener? See Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Exhibition-Poul ... 714&sr=1-4
I haven't read this one myself as I don't show my birds, but his other books on poultry breeds are very good, and he is a show judge.
Marigold

Postby Cumbrian lad » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:18 pm

Thanks for your Replies, they are much appreciated. Got 2 2nds at my first show so not a bad start. Managed to get to chat with the judge who gave me some tips and pointed me in the right direction. All in all very pleased. Not long till the next show so lets see if ive learned anything!!
Cumbrian lad

Postby Marigold » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:46 pm

Very good, well done. Which birds did you show, and what classes did you win in?
Marigold

Postby foxy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:17 pm

Well done cumbrian lad! :-)08 :-)08 Any chance of photos? Would love to see your furnace oeg
foxy

Postby Cumbrian lad » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:50 pm

Had a partridge wyandotte hen in the wyandotte hen class and a 2012 bred furnace oeg cock. The cock that beat mine had been dubbed and was a lot bigger. Just had mine dubbed and already looking well, he's a good shape. I will try and get some pics uploaded.
Cumbrian lad

Return to Showing Chickens