High Peak Show- Bakewell, Derbyshire

The place to discuss Shows and Showing Chickens

Moderators: Marigold, victorias poultry

lwescott
Forum Contributor / Grower

Re: High Peak Show- Bakewell, Derbyshire

Post by lwescott » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:39 am

Was a good show :D

I probably saw you - I was probably by the Wyandottes or sales, wearing a blue fleece with chickens on the front and back :lol:
A friend of mine was after the brahma bantams too! ;) One friend bought the 3 Silkie X Sussex's and 2 bantam Welsummers :)

Didn't show at this one but a few friends did - eggs and chickens.
Very proud of friend who got Best Welsummer and Best Soft Feather Heavy Bantam :D
The lights completely messed with my camera too and they came out all yellow like yours did :roll:
BrookeRN25

High Peak Show- Bakewell, Derbyshire

Post by BrookeRN25 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:48 am

What breed is picture # 14? I love her feathered legs! Beautiful!
animartco
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by animartco » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:08 pm

Hi Elmwood. Lovely show pictures. I think the duck is a silver appleyard? Could be wrong. I was particularly happy about the white pekin best true bantam. She is my sort of pekin! a triangle and a semicircle! No horrible flat back. That is surely a different breed? I marvel at how much standards differ. I suppose you have to ask who is judging and put your birds in the show that has the judge that likes your type?
chickenlips

Post by chickenlips » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:01 pm

Not sure what sort of pekins you've got but what you describe is exactly what a pekin should not look like.

They should be totally round, no marked division between back and tail, just a round ball shape. You should not be able to see daylight through their legs, and the legs and feet should be well feathered, with just the toes and toe feathers showing under the belly feathers.

Theres no need to marvel at how the standards differ. They don't. There's one standard and thats set out in the British Poultry Standards for Pekin Bantams. Any other shaped pekin is not acceptable.

As for judges, not all judges are well versed with all breeds, so this explains why such bad examples of any breed get placed in shows. It's not usually because the judge prefers you're birds shape, it's because he knows nothing of the standard.

To see some really bad examples of pekins, you only have to look on Ebay. Triangular, humped backed, long legged, obvious orpington blood, silly little round pom pom tails, in a range of non standard colours.

I dont want to offend animartco, but your type of pekin is a reject! Typical of all the pekin faults in one bird.

The duck is a miniature silver appleyard.

Return to “Showing Chickens”