Red bits in chick poo

The place to discuss incubating, hatching and rearing chickens.

Moderator: pebojuno

BabyBantam
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Re: Red bits in chick poo

Post by BabyBantam »

3 boys and a girl it is - 2 mottled / speckled boys and the third turning into a lovely clear Blue / Lavender boy (the one on the left with the large comb). He's hand tame, always looking out for the girl and mum and really friendly.
Need to find a home for (at least him) because he's an angel. Any ideas how I'd start?
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Post by dinosaw »

It's quite difficult to get rid of boys, if you are prepared to grow him on to about 20 or so weeks there is a tiny chance that if you contacted local pekin breeders one may take fancy to him if they wanted some new blood, beyond that it is a case of placing adverts on omlet, preloved etc. I don't know what your setup is BB but have you considered keeping him?, I kept mature crowing boys for 2 years in an urban area with no complaints, it takes a bit of extra effort picking them up every night and putting them somewhere nice and dark where you can muffle the crowing and then returning them to their girls every morning but I found it well worth it. In any case don't panic, you will have 2-3 months before he starts making a noticeable noise, by which time the sun will be coming up later anyway and he will be less likely to be waking anyone up.
BabyBantam
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by BabyBantam »

I live in a small group of 8 houses and some neighbours say there is a covenant against keeping chickens in their deeds. I never found anything in mine and everyone is happy with my girls as they know they are pets and I make sure I keep them spotless and vermin at bay etc. I'm not sure how they would feel to a roo as its pretty quiet round here, so would rather not break the peace if I don't need to. I don't have the space to keep 3 boys as they are already squabbling so need to lose 2 at least and then maybe the winter nights may save my fav boy at least until the spring.
Tried hard not to name them, but after saving the lavender twice from death by choking when he got caught up in mums feathers in first week of life, couldn't help falling in love :(
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon »

Its tough BB as we have just culled our three lovely leghorn bantam cockerels. But they had a good life, short though it was. When I see the life birds bred at breeders (for money) have I realise how good a life they really had. One was called 'Pecky and I have the scars to justify the name.

Return to “Incubating, Hatching, Rearing Chicks & Growers”