Red bits in chick poo

The place to discuss incubating, hatching and rearing chickens.

Moderator: pebojuno

BabyBantam
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Red bits in chick poo

Post by BabyBantam »

Small issue this morning.
A couple of the poos laid by the chick/s first thing this morning have red bits in. Looks a bit like the poo adults lay when they are shedding their linings. The chicks are all active and don't look sick, but can someone confirm if chicks (possibly roo's) shed linings, or might this be the start of cocci?
Thanks.
chickenfan
Part of the Flock

Re: Red bits in chick poo

Post by chickenfan »

I think it takes at least 2-3 weeks before they can get cocci. The Chicken Vet has quite a good website.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon »

We noticed red bits in our chick poos at 3-4 weeks BB. On closer examination it appeared to be shed intestinal lining. They are all fine now so that must have been what it was. I would expect coccidiosis to show initially as darkening of the poos, before they actually get bloody. Ours had unmedicated crumb (all they sell here) but were given Avipro Avian probiotic initially.
chickenfan
Part of the Flock

Post by chickenfan »

Interesting Chris - you are always a mine of information! I've never used medicated crumb (bad for the environment) and haven't found cocci to be an issue so long as they are kept clean and dry and have apple cider vinegar from time to time. Must try the probiotic.
BabyBantam

Post by BabyBantam »

Chicks are still fine and no more signs of red. They are 3 weeks old on Tuesday and have been out on grass since day 2. Not had probiotic or cider vinegar. Think I got 3 Roos and one girl and this might be a cause of worry too as the little 'girl' not as active as the other three and this started me worrying that she might be lethargic.
valeriebutterley

Post by valeriebutterley »

Hello BB
Are the babies Pekins? - I'm assuming they are, any day now you should be able to tell whether they are roos as the crest will be larger and deeper colour, it is another of the things so endearing about Pekins, the ease of sexing them.
Having said that, being an old hand at hatching and early sexing, I was fooled only two days ago, when my beautiful longed for black girl from my blues, started crowing her darling little head off!
"She" is tiny, dainty, and totally beautiful, being just deepest black, and also now brilliant red, was hoping for an egg, but got a crow!!!!
BabyBantam

Post by BabyBantam »

Oh dear, it's always the ones you love the most that cause the most trouble :D yes, they are all Pekins.
I posted these in the photo section but will post here too. The grey one has acted like a boy since birth and the little blonde one on the right a girl, but as this is the first time I've ever hatched, I have no idea what they are. They are 18 days old
image.jpg
image.jpg (75.69 KiB) Viewed 2454 times
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (59.07 KiB) Viewed 2454 times
BabyBantam

Post by BabyBantam »

image.jpg
image.jpg (27.37 KiB) Viewed 2389 times
Chicks now four weeks old and three are sizing each other up, butting chests and hang in' with the homies, so presume boys.
This one I'm not so sure about. Seems quiet, never really mixed with the others and is possibly a girl?
Best guess anyone, or do I need a full length shot?
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Post by dinosaw »

No real comb or wattles, most probably a girl, the boys are normally getting nice small red wattles starting to develop and the comb is noticeable by now and yes they are very boisterous too.
valeriebutterley

Post by valeriebutterley »

Hello BB,
did not keep up with your post, but would say 3 pullets one roo, which I'm sure you will know by now.
I have had from bought in eggs, one pure white boy, and one beautiful silver partridge girl, both pure colours. Lovely chicks.
My own motley crew have produced this year from various girls and a Lemon cuckoo dad, pure black, black mottled, very dark blue, and lemon/buff plus a couple of very interesting hybrids from last years girls from the water park in Godalming.
Hope yours are well and thriving.

Return to “Incubating, Hatching, Rearing Chicks & Growers”