do chicks do much better with a broody hen?

The place to discuss incubating, hatching and rearing chickens.

Moderator: pebojuno

chickenfan
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

do chicks do much better with a broody hen?

Post by chickenfan » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:59 pm

I have had some eggs hatch from an incubator and put 4 of the chicks with a broody hen, but she is so avidly scratching that it is hard to manage the food and water and I am wondering whether to rear the rest under an electric hen. Apart from the chicks learning what to eat more quickly, are there other benefits to a broody raising them, such as passing on immunity?
Marigold

Re: do chicks do much better with a broody hen?

Post by Marigold » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:50 pm

I really don't know the answer to this, but I wonder whether there's a social advantage in growing up with an adult hen, rather than just with other chicks? Do they learn more about how to be a chicken, do you think, rather than being in a less rich environment in a brooder, safe and clean though it may be? I'm sure that sunshine and grass could only be beneficial, what do you think?
chickenfan
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by chickenfan » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:04 pm

Yes, I think you are right Marigold that they will be a more balanced chicken. I can do the sunshine and grass. I have finally had a successful hatch from the incubator. This time, I let the eggs cool slightly every now and then so I don't know if this made the difference.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:37 pm

Great about the hatch, you deserve a bit of luck after all your trials and tribulations!

Return to “Incubating, Hatching, Rearing Chicks & Growers”