Introducing 2 clutches

The place to discuss incubating, hatching and rearing chickens.

Moderator: pebojuno

Cliodhna
Forum Contributor / Grower

Re: Introducing 2 clutches

Post by Cliodhna » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:13 am

Thank you, Its been an amazing experience hatching them all and seeing how fast they grow. I've been incredibly lucky with my hatch rates, the last clutch we hatched at school for the other children to experience it, and we had 5 out of 6 hatch and survive, and they were ebay eggs. so we really were very lucky.

Its also a big eye opener the difference in their behaviour towards you when you have them from babies, to getting ex batts (which were my first chickens). However, for the time being at least, I am babied out. I am looking forward to watching them grow into adults.
Cliodhna
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by Cliodhna » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:10 am

Well they all went into the same coop all by themselves last night. When I went to check on them, all 5 were snuggled up together.

They dont use the perches yet, should I be encouraging that now, or is it too soon (12 weeks and 9 weeks old)?
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:15 am

That's great, no problems then. They're still a bit young for perches, don't worry they will get there when they grow a bit. You can put them up on perches by about 18 weeks if they haven't cottoned on by then for themselves.
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Post by dinosaw » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:47 am

Really nice to hear when things go well. Agree with Marigold about the perches.

Return to “Incubating, Hatching, Rearing Chicks & Growers”