my home made incubator

The place to discuss incubating, hatching and rearing chickens.

Moderator: pebojuno

Re: my home made incubator

Postby hedgerow pete » Tue May 22, 2012 5:37 pm

tygrysek75 wrote:Well done to you.I have bought selfmade incubator on e-bay and I have very smal halogen bulb inside with computer fan to mix the air and both are fitted on the lid of the box which makes loads of space for the eggs and do not take alot of power.It was very relible and I had very nice chicks hatched in it.This is how its look http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INCUBATOR-BRO ... 4ab5485746

i brought one of these and it was great, i did paint the inside of it first to help to keep it clean, i am now planning to go a bit bigger so i was thinking about buying a different set up as a controller, i must admit i dont like the light bulb thing and want to go towards a heater wire or a trace heater wire instead , i have found some rated at 40 watt per metre so a couple of metres should do it
hedgerow pete
Forum Contributor / Grower

Postby fabgirl » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:51 pm

reat Job there ! unreal what a little imagination and a few supplies can do. I have built an incubator out of a small bar fridge, question is do i have thermostat senser above light or below lights.
fabgirl
Newcomer / Hatchling

Postby chrismahon » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:49 pm

In front of the fan I would say Fabgirl, avoiding radiated heat from the lights and just measuring the air temperature.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Postby glenpowel » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:59 pm

Good job. The best hatching success I've had was with my homemade incubator. Some years ago I constructed a small twin-wall cabinet from 25mm polystyrene sandwiched between 15mm white melamine, and a double glazed window in the door.
glenpowel
Newcomer / Hatchling

Postby chrismahon » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:20 pm

Inspirational Simon+colette. Biggest problem here is power cuts, so if we can store heat inside the incubator to give us time to set up the inverter that's good. Dry method is dependant on the humidity inside your house. Old houses can run at 70% and new at 30%. So running dry means different things to different houses. The only certain method is to check the formation of the air sac. Over here the humidity can run from 80% to 20% in a day -very difficult to work, with so auto humidifiers are great. Alternatively just use your nose and adjust the water surface area.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Postby MalcolmP » Wed May 15, 2013 10:25 pm

chrismahon wrote:so if we can store heat inside the incubator to give us time to set up the inverter that's good.
reusable ice packs (as sold for picnic coolers etc) are supposed to have high thermal storage capacity. I have used them to good effect to fill thermal voids in a couple of very old mechanical (ether, I think, capsule thermostat) incubators.
They are also good to use as "dummy eggs", by which I mean if you are incubating just a few eggs in say a 40egg 'bator then the ice packs can fill up and stabilise the rest of the 'bator.
MalcolmP

Postby Chuckchick » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:14 pm

That incubator is fab! I may steal your idea? I never realised a bulb like that could emit enough heat
:-D :) :-D :-)08 :-)17
Chuckchick - ever searching for the perfect flock! :)
Chuckchick

Previous

Return to Incubating, Hatching, Rearing Chicks & Growers