Power Cut - How bad is this?

The place to discuss incubating, hatching and rearing chickens.

Moderator: pebojuno

cherrycoop
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by cherrycoop »

Hello, I am incubating 24 various bantams and 10 quail eggs which I brought over from UK in my hand baggage. I live in a very hot tropical place in the middle of the Indian Ocean. This is the first time I have incubated eggs, borrowed an incubator which was running v hot and eventually got the temperature to acceptable limit before putting in the eggs. This morning we had a violent storm and lost electricity for 4 hours. The temperature dropped to 30C. From all you people with vast experience out there can you please tell me if this will ruin all chances of a hatch? I so hope not. I went to such lengths to get those eggs! Today is day 16 so I will turn the quail eggs for the last time tonight.
E3lx
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Re: Power Cut - How bad is this?

Post by E3lx »

hi,
welcome to the forum :D :-)99 :-)99 :-)99 :-)99 :-)99
It should not be too bad, i had a powercut once, and the incubator went down to 29 celcius, but i still had 4 out of 4 eggs hatching.
You will never know
Unless you give it a go!!!

http://enisrarebreedchickens.wura.co.uk
Paddy_c20

Post by Paddy_c20 »

Am I rite in beleuveing them animals should not be over there???
tygrysek75

Post by tygrysek75 »

If they survived flight and eggs are fertile you should be OK 4h is nothing.Good luck with incubation :-)17 :-)99
The older I get the older old is.
Chuck
Part of the Flock

Post by Chuck »

Many of us have had worse so take the chance, carry on and don't give up hope. They may take a day or two more to hatch.
If you are willing to go that extra mile for your poultry - make sure you're going in the right direction !
cherrycoop

Post by cherrycoop »

Thanks for the encouragement - will see what the next 48 hours bring.
Frenchchickens123

Post by Frenchchickens123 »

I had a bantam leave her nest where she was incubating 8 eggs and went to get food only to come back to the wrong nest! By the time I found them they were stone cold, must have been at least 6 hours. Anyways 7 out of 8 hatched. Don't worry too much :-) I wish you luck for your hatch!
foxy
Part of the Flock

Post by foxy »

Good luck..I would say never give up...they will always surprise you! ;)
cherrycoop

Post by cherrycoop »

Had one quail hatch yesterday morning and nothing since - I expect some of the bantams to hatch in 48 hours. It would be good to get one more quail at least. Thanks for the positive thoughts.
hayley1234

Post by hayley1234 »

hi, i think things wil be ok, a few weeks ago my son turned off my incubator that contained 30-40 fertile eggs, from 4 different settings, in the morning i didnt discover this until about 6 in the evening the temperature was about 20 oc and i am very happy to say that out of all the sets of eggs only 2 eggs didnt hatch, so dont worry :D

Return to “Incubating, Hatching, Rearing Chicks & Growers”