Overdue Chicken Eggs

The place to discuss incubating, hatching and rearing chickens.

Moderator: pebojuno

Kizma
Forum Contributor / Grower

Overdue Chicken Eggs

Post by Kizma » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:18 am

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some help/advice.
I set a batch of chicken eggs on 1 March so am now on day 26. I have candled at the usual times and the 5 eggs that are left all have good air sacs, hit all the development milestones etc. I was about to give up on them last night when I read about the float test so I tried that. The eggs were bobbing all over the place so I'm pretty sure the chicks are still alive. So I've put them back in the incubator but my question is how long do I wait? and is there anything that I should be doing?
Thanks
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Re: Overdue Chicken Eggs

Post by chrismahon » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:06 pm

Just wait Kizma. They could hatch up to 3 days late if the temperature is actually too low, despite what your thermometer says. Never heard of the float test on ready-to-hatch eggs- hope they didn't drown? Just keep to the hatch settings which, if I remember correctly, is 37.0C and 75% humidity.
Kizma

Post by Kizma » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:46 pm

chrismahon wrote:Just wait Kizma. They could hatch up to 3 days late if the temperature is actually too low, despite what your thermometer says. Never heard of the float test on ready-to-hatch eggs- hope they didn't drown? Just keep to the hatch settings which, if I remember correctly, is 37.0C and 75% humidity.
Thank you. That is what I have at the moment (well... its what my thermometer and hygrometer says!).

I made sure the water was 37c to prevent water being sucked into the egg, so hopefully it hasn't done them any damage.

I found the info here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/thread ... ng.383525/
MrsBiscuit
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by MrsBiscuit » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:17 pm

Your situation is a new one on me, I haven't ever had to wait 26 days for a hatch and I had no idea you could do the float test on hatching eggs. Now I have read around it a bit I see it can be risky but in your situation I guess you didn't have much to lose really. Realistically the chances are that the eggs won't be viable, or even if they are then there might be something wrong with the chicks, 26 days isn't normal. If you do carry on I have successfully mixed new chicks with 5 day olds, although that was under a broody and I kept a close eye on Mum.

Just a thought, I don't suppose they could be duck eggs?
Kizma

Post by Kizma » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:32 pm

As you say, I had nothing to lose, it was a last attempt to check they were viable before they went in the bin.
They are definitely not duck MrsBiscuit. I have those in another incubator and there is a clear size difference.
Kizma

Post by Kizma » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:19 pm

I've just got home from work to find one egg has pipped!
MrsBiscuit
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by MrsBiscuit » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:25 pm

:D I wish you all the best, they are determined!

Return to “Incubating, Hatching, Rearing Chicks & Growers”