new to this

The place to discuss incubating and hatching chicken eggs.

Moderator: pebojuno

Re: new to this

Postby dye29 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:11 am

one day to go hopefully theyll hatch i candled them at day 15 and 3 were pretty much dark which seems like theres a chick in them 1 was to speckly so couldnt tell but the other was a black pea size does that mean it hasnt carryed on growing , also can i clean my incubator with kitchen antibacterial spray then warm soapy water .
dye29
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Postby Marigold » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:54 am

Good luck with the hatch! We're all waiting for news!
Have you removed the turning circle and lined the plastic base of the incubator with something their little feet can get a grip on, like old cotton fabric or J-cloth? This is very important as the base is slippery and their little legs may splay out whilst they're drying out in there, and not go back properly. (this is called spraddled leg.) Throw the lining away afterwards and then clean the inci as you describe.
I don't know about the candling, I think you'll just have to be patient and see what happens. When you get to the stage where you switch off turning and add the liner, top up the water to increase humidity, and then be careful NOT TO OPEN THE INCUBATOR AT ALL until they've hatched and dried off for 24 hours. That's the hard part - but at least, with a little Brinsea, you can settle down with your sandwiches and camera and see what's happening!
Marigold

Postby dye29 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:59 am

day 21 and no movement at all ,last night one egg looked really shady but nothing
dye29

Postby dye29 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:27 pm

on the 21 day and just noticed one egg has pipped abit hopefully it will be out soon
dye29

Postby dye29 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:08 am

one finally hatch and one more egg is pipping , the little chick is running around moving eggs shall i remove it yet
dye29

Postby Marigold » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:36 pm

No, leave it in there. If you open the incubator, all the warm humid air will escape, which will hinder the hatch of the second chick and may chill the first one. Chicks don't need food or water for the first 24-48 hours after hatching as they feed on the remains of the egg yolk which is still there for them. When the second one hatches, if you think that's all you're going to get, leave them in there until the second one has dried out and then transfer them to the brooder, which you need to get warmed up now to the same temperature as the incubator to start with, so they don't get a temperature shock.
Marigold

Postby dye29 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:53 pm

ive transfered both to brooder just should i leave incubator on another day as i think there should be 3 but no pipping at all
dye29

Postby Marigold » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:34 pm

Well done to have two hatch - how many eggs did you start with? Yes, leave the incubator on for another two days in case another one hatches later than the others, it sometimes does happen and you've nothing to lose.
Marigold

Postby dye29 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:50 pm

i only had five eggs , when i candled them a while back looked like there was 3 hopefully hatch one more, i have a problem i was been keen and purchased smemore fertile eggs and they came thurs will they keep another few days
dye29

Postby Marigold » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:37 am

If there's no sign of the third egg pipping this morning, I would clean up the incubator and add the new eggs, as they will have a better chance of success if they are as fresh as possible. Allowing for time in the post, they will be at least a week old already.
Marigold

PreviousNext

Return to Incubation and Hatching Eggs