Internal cupboard for incy

The place to discuss incubating and hatching chicken eggs.

Moderator: pebojuno

Internal cupboard for incy

Postby Little red hen » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:03 pm

Hi, have eggs and incubator up and ready just wondering if the internal cupboard is a good place to put it - with door open for fresh air. Have covvatutto 16. No fluctuating temps but too stifling maybe? Your thoughts appreciated. I could put them in spare room but have guests from time to time dont think theyd appreciate blinking lights..!
Little red hen
Newcomer / Hatchling

Re: Internal cupboard for incy

Postby Marigold » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:38 am

If you can plan three weeks ahead, no problems with the spare room, I would have thought - and you could always move the inci out to somewhere else if a guest arrived unexpectedly. A few minutes' disconnection wouldn't affect the hatch.
A bigger problem, I would have thought, might be providing enough space, fresh air, warmth and sunlight (real or electric sunlamp) for the chicks as they turn into hulking great growers by Christmas, with the worst of winter weather still ahead.
As an experienced keeper, I'm sure you've thought all this through, but maybe this thread might interest you, all the same, viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8635 about someone who took on three-week-old chicks in November (and reared them successfully, though she did say she wouldn't try it again in Winter.)
Marigold

Return to Incubation and Hatching Eggs