Belgian Bantams

Barbu d'Anvers, Barbu d'Uccle, Barbu du Watermael, Barbu d'Everberg and Barbu de Grubbe Belgium Bantams.

Moderators: Marigold, victorias poultry

Forum rules
Please only post questions / information / pictures specific to Belgium Bantams here.
elmwood
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Belgian Bantams

Post by elmwood » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:12 am

BARBU D'UCCLE - Bearded & Booted Belgium Bantam

In the Uk we have 3 varieties of standardised Belgium Bantam-
Barbu d'Uccle - bearded & feather legged
Barbu d'Anvers - bearded & clean legged
Barbu De Watermael- crested, bearded & clean legged

All True Bantams - meaning they have no larger counterparts. The Barbu D'Uccle is considered to be derived from crossing the Barbu d'Anvers from Antwerp with the Sablepoot Booted Bantam from Netherlands. (The sablepoot has feathered feet & non-bearded)

The Barbu d'Uccle originates from a small town on the outskirts of Brussels and were first imported in 1911. They are much more popular in Germany and the Netherlands where large numbers in a wide range of colours varieties can be seen at the major shows. There has been a revival of interest in the UK 1990'S onwards.

The Barbu D'Uccle is a cute little hen with a beard and feathery feet. They are a gentle and docile bird with a placid, easy-going nature. With regular handling they become very friendly, trusting and tame birds. They are known as the ballerinas of the bantam kingdom- rarely standing still and dancing on their toes... being light on their feet means they tend to do less damage to the garden making them an all round desirable pet. They are good fliers, and regularly fly up on to my shoulders.
They are good sitters and mothers, can sit on up to approx 9 eggs. They lay a small pale egg, but are not prolific layers.

They have a small single comb, inconspicious earlobes & very small wattles- the smaller the better. They have distinctive but delicate head-gear each side of the face, and below the chin - the neck "boule". They look like they have a collar or muff. The body is short and broad, as is the back leading to the tail which is high, almost upright. Wings are held so that they slope towards the ground and held very closely to the body. They are extremely regal/majestic looking birds.

The Porcelain and Millefleur (thousand flowers), were the main colour varieties found in the early d'Uccles followed by black and white. The Porcelain has a ground colour of straw, each feather being marked with a pale-blue spangle and v-shaped white tip. The Milliefleur has a ground colour of golden mahogany, with a black spangle on each feather and again a white v-shaped tip.

A fancy breeder is required to have a little patience as this bird can take upto 18 mths to develop the "essential type" giving extended show pen time.
Winning Show bird.jpg
Porcelain Barbu D'uccle
Winning Show bird.jpg (26.25 KiB) Viewed 5088 times
Millefleur D'Uccle hen.jpg
Millefleur D'Uccle hen.jpg (48.67 KiB) Viewed 5088 times
Tillie aged 18wks.JPG
Tillies d'Uccle 1st day with us 03/2010
Tillie aged 18wks.JPG (42.98 KiB) Viewed 5088 times
millefleur d'uccle.jpg
a cute-pie
millefleur d'uccle.jpg (8.65 KiB) Viewed 5088 times
DSCF1007.JPG
Who can resist this cute little girl?
DSCF1007.JPG (100.28 KiB) Viewed 5088 times
Attachments
porcelain.jpg
porcelain.jpg (33.42 KiB) Viewed 5088 times
millefleur.jpg
millefleur.jpg (31.17 KiB) Viewed 5088 times
Last edited by Poultrykeeper Admin on Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Moved from old Breed of the Month forum
Tim
Site Admin

Re: Belgian Bantams - February 2011

Post by Tim » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:49 pm

Congratulations Sharron..
If you can PM your address to me and I will send you a keyring! ;)

I'm looking forward to hearing from others about Belgian Bantams. Personally, I have never kept them but they do look fantastic.
elmwood

Post by elmwood » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:21 am

Many thanks to all who voted.... clearly you all have excellent taste. :lol:

Our Tillie D'Uccle is having her winners brekkie - porridge & mealworms. Hope it has introduced some on here to rethink or even consider belgium bantams.

Thanks Sharron
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:51 am

The question I have is do you keep them in a covered run through the winter to stop the feathered feet from getting spoilt by mud?
elmwood

Post by elmwood » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:01 pm

Hi Tim

The answer is NO. They all free range, so mud and muck is the norm- plenty of feet washing in this house. However, due to the rather bad weather this winter, they have by choice stayed in their rather large metal shed, which houses their coop. So their feathered feet are looking rather resplendant after moulting. No doubt when they start foraging in the garden we will have breakages galore- which is the biggest concern. Half the reason we dont enter our poot in shows is that she has broken feathered feet from spring onwards. :roll:

Our d'uccle in particular has extra long feathers on her feet, and is clearly struggling to cope. She has taken to hopping around the garden now to keep up with the others- so funny!
podstable

Post by podstable » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:26 pm

Thats great Elmwood---I had no idea what the difference was between the various 'Barbus'! Does anyone keep the other types as some pics of those would be nice to compare. Ros
Aileen

Post by Aileen » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:03 pm

Barbu tastic! Well done Elmwood ( i was one of the 2 who voted for Pekins tho.....) sorry! But I didnt know enuf about your little Belgian buds to place a vote, Pekins on the other hand.......
Anyhoo, I would be very interested in speaking to someone over the coming weeks re: a couple of D'anvers or Watermaels.... the D'uccles feathery feet do my head in! I have discovered I have a bit of a clean feet OCD so feathers are the devil!! My poor pekins feet are never out of the sink!
I am G74...... miles from everyone on this forum!
elmwood

Post by elmwood » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:41 pm

Hi Aileen,

:lol: I adore Pekins, have three very special ladies of my own.

Not too far behind you with the OCD- constantly wiping the booteds feet with kitchen towel.

Anyway, I fell in love with a Quail Barbu d'Anvers at a local show in Summer - (there is a lovely photo on here under "Alrewas show"). As for the Watermael variety , not too sure about the crested bit on top of the head.

Now I am hoping to go to Bakewell show this weekend and fingers crossed will be coming back with a couple of new girls. If the nice lady whose quail d'anvers I admired is there I will get her number for you-think she is from the Coventry area. Dorinda has such a variety and is up your neck of the woods.

Off to put the girls to bed.
dorinda

Post by dorinda » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:08 pm

I have Barbu de watermaels in the non-standard red quail colour, cute little birds - will take a pikki of them for you
Cochin Best of Breed -Scottish National 2010, 2011, 2012, Best of Breed Favorelles 2012, Best Opp Size Brahma, Best of breed Sabelpoot, best opp Sex, 1sts White German Langshan fem. Male Large Favorelles, and AOV Rare large - Male spangled Russian Orloff
pebojuno

Post by pebojuno » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:21 pm

Oooh I love the d'uccles- I'm trying to persuade my mum to have some instead of the quails she fancies :D
I keep breeding groups of cream legbars, chamois poland bantams, mixed pekins, silver lace wyandottes, speckled sussex and white orpingtons!

Return to “Belgium Bantams”